Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I recently began revisiting a few GL Pease blends, and checking out some C&D that I had not previously tried. The Pease blends include Westminster, Abingdon, and Samarra, while the C&D blends include Mountain Camp, Super Balkan and Star of the East.
I was immediately struck by the unfamiliar cut of the Pease blends. Where once they were a chunkier ribbon, they're now a fine, almost shag ribbon cut. I really don't like it at all. I was told by a knowledgeable source that C&D changed cuts around a year ago, actually out-sourcing the cutting of the leaf. Besides not liking the new cut, I really struggled to find much to distinguish any of these blends from one another, flavor-wise. Not sure if that's them or me, or both.
So here's my question: Is Hearth & Home's ribbon cut more or less identical to C&D's? I've only had one tin of White Knight, and that was a couple years ago, but I recall the cut being a fine ribbon. I went through a couple of tins of John Cotton's Smyrna (which I mention only because it's a Russ Oullette product and therefore I assume would feature the same tobacco/cut) about a year ago, and again I remember a fine ribbon.
I had been on a McClelland kick for the last few years, and for reasons that should be obvious, I'm searching for new blends to try. I'm intrigued by Blackhouse and Magnum Opus, but don't want to bother if they're the same fine ribbon cut which I don't care for.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 27, 2016
Here is a similar thread that I thought of when I jarred up my latest tin of Odyssey from late '17, an 8 oz one.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/new-cut-for-glp-and-campd
Compared to what I have jarred from small tin which would be 2 or 3 years old by now, this stuff seemed like it was chopped up a little more. When smoked, the new fresh stuff reminded me of the old fresh stuff, and the quality and ratios seem the same at first sight, so for now it seems OK to me. I usually tear up the bigger pieces a little bit anyway, so in my case it does not seem to be a big deal.

:puffpipe:

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
I've been trying a few new tins of GLP mixtures and have found the same fine cut ribbons you mentioned.

All of the GLP blends I have been smoking for several years are from around the mid 2000 issues that have been aging in jars. Curiosity got the better of me which prompted me to try a few of the current tins to see how the older compared with the new.
My biggest surprise was Haddos Delight. Not only was the cut much different, but the Brandy/Rum? topping seemed different as well. Maybe age has changed the older blend (2006) but to my palate, the new is definitely a bit different.

Not only in the cut, but in strength, too. The old stuff seems a bit more potent to my palate.
That said, I like the new cut. Kinda reminds me of the JF Germain mixtures. The ribbons make for easy filling and a better burn, imho. But hey, were all different. :wink:

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
I'm a fan of C&D Stratfordshire. Starting with a fall 2016 order, the cut is much more of a true ribbon, as you all have noticed too. Prior to that, it had that classic C&D coarse cut, kind of like some guy with a couple shots of tequila in him got after it with a not too sharp machete.
I should probably do a side by side some day, focusing on burn characteristics, but my casual impression is that both cuts are fine.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
H&H blends are made by Lane (Marquee) and Sutliff (Signature), iirc. Not sure why a change at C&D/GLP would affect H&H. But your observation makes me glad I stocked up on Pease when I did!

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I received some of the C&D Red VA this past week and it’s certsily more of a shag cut than any I’d sampled before.

Blending and pressing this VA is like to make a questionable texture for a crumble-cake.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
ericusrex: I was wanting to know if Hearth & Home's ribbon cut was similar to C&D's. I was not suggesting that C&D's change in cut would affect Hearth & Home, however, since C&D are outsourcing the cutting of their leaf (as I was told), it could very well be that it is Lane or Sutliff who is doing it for them and therefore it would be similar to H&H, if H&H is indeed produced by Lane or Sutliff as you claim. I didn't feel it was my place to ask for specifics about where C&D's leaf was being processed.
oldtoby: Agreed on the similarity to Germain's ribbon cut.
balki: thanks for the link. It does appear that H&H's cut might be too fine for my taste.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Just wanted to add: I do like C&D's ready rubbed cut. It more closely resembles what their ribbon used to be. Chelsea Morning and Robusto (Pease blends, I know) are good examples of this.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
For me, if GLP blends are cut "better" than they have been, I would be happy. I'm generally opening tins from 2006 or so, so the new cut won't come into play for a while. I have to spend time breaking up blends before packing. Pieces the size of my thumbnail don't do it for me.
Mike S.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
I hear ya, Mike.
I was jarring up the Haddos I mentioned earlier. The Va. and Burley was fine cut, but the Perique and Black Cavendish were still in large chunks. I unrolled one piece of Perique that was actually 2 inches by 3 inches wide with several other pieces close to that size.

Nothing a good pair of scissors couldn't handle but you'd think given the fine cut of the other components, they would have done close to the same with the Perique and Black Cavendish.
I realize that some ingredients in some blends are left larger by design for variations in flavour, but these large chunks would be almost unsmokable imho.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
if H&H is indeed produced by Lane or Sutliff as you claim
Confirmed
img_20170620_120507.jpg

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Well, that confirms that particular blend is made by Sutliff, and according to TobaccoReviews.com, it’s a pipesandcigars blend, not Hearth & Home. I realize there’s a connection between H&H and P&C, but I’m not going to assume anything.
What a mysterious, tangled web the pipe tobacco world is. So much smoke and mirrors :puffpipe:

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Well, I went and answered my own question. I ordered some Blackhouse and Magnum Opus, and was very pleasantly surprised. The cut is exactly what I was looking for, and very similar to what C&D used to be. They also taste good, better than any of the C&D/Pease stuff I've tried in the last several months. Pretty much done with C&D.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
I just opened a new tin of Blackhouse and it's not a fine cut, it's chunkier and similar to McCl, just what I prefer.
If C&D (and Pease) when to a fine/shag cut, then I'm out, I've never enjoyed that cut, for me, it doesn't carry the flavors as well and tends to burn hotter when drier.

Status
Not open for further replies.