PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Question About The Older Ben Wade Freehands. They are my weekness. I stumbled upon a website based out of Denmark years ago that sells estate pipes. I figured, what better place to get what I'm looking for? On the site this week, I found some London made Ben Wades. What confused me is a London made Martinique. I always thought the Ben Wade Martinique was a Danish made freehand. Here is the page

Danish Estates

The Martinique is quite a few pipes down. Any thoughts on it? I have a Martinique and mine is stamped "Hand Made In Denmark".

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Sorry. It's a Ben Wade Hand Model London Made. I've seen a few of these all stamped from Denmark. Is there a timeline gap in the Ben Wade freehand story anyone can shed some light on?

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
There really does seem to be some significant "gaps" in understanding the history of Ben Wade between the 1960's and 1990's. There are some years where people assume they were made side by side with Dunhills and Charatans... people's perception of quality during different eras is very stratified. I'd like to see a more definitive history somewhere... Surely the guy that owns it now must know it?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
There are some years where people assume they were made side by side with Dunhills and Charatans...

I've heard that Ben Wades were made in the Preben Holm shop along with the Dunhill era Charatan's. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.