PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Let me preface this: DON'T JUDGE ME! I actually like the P-lip and I'm not terribly interested in whether or not you do.
So, for about a year now I've been jumping back and forth on whether or not I would get a Peterson System with a P-lip. Within that year, I've gotten several other pipes that I wasn't sure I'd ever see again if I didn't get them and I'm a little compulsive. However, I keep coming back to these system pipes from Peterson. I love the way they look. So, I'm thinking about taking the plunge finally. My question for you guys is that I noticed I can get a new one for about $115 give or take a few dollars from where I order it. Or if I wanted an Estate, they seem to go for about $85-$95. I'm not an estate expert by any means, but doesn't an estate (especially of such a popular pipe made in high quantity) usually go for about half the new price? Is it worth it to get an Estate or should I consider buying one new? $30 doesn't seem like that great of a difference...

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Hey Quincy.

I've got several System pipes (all P-lips) and I love them all! I bought all of mine new for one reason. My reason is that I couldn't be sure if the previous owner had cleaned the well out after each smoke. If the well hasn't been cleaned in a long time it could sour, not to mention it would be hell to clean.

For $20 or $30 difference, I'd go with a new one on a System.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I DO JUDGE YOU!! And YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF!!!!!
Peterson Systems are great. IMHO there is little or nothing wrong with P-lips, in fact on an all-day smoke I alternate them with fishtails to help avert tongue bite. They also have a great draw on them.
I favour the older pre-Republic ones, of which I have two in my collection. Both were bought (within your price range) fully restored from rebornbriar's site - he often has them (estatepipes.co.uk). If you send him a PM he'll I'm sure keep an eye out for you.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Oooh. This brings up a good point. So the well should be cleaned after each smoke? What other things should one be aware of when getting a System?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'll just add that there's no "rule" regarding estate pipe pricing. The pricing of current offerings has no bearing whatsoever on the value of an older pipe. In fact, there are some estate pipes that would sell for much more than a current equivalent.
Bob

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Yes, best after every smoke. Other than that I would suggest not ramming the tenon into the mortise too hard or too frequently, or it may become loose and the bowl fall off unexpectedly - with embarrassing consequences!! (see my recent tongue bite thread)

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Bob, yeah. I thought through that after I sent it. Obviously, there's a lot more that goes in to determining the price of an estate. However, I was thinking with something as "common" as a Peterson system (not an old or rare one) the price would be about half. It seems like Grabows go for about half the price if they're a common one.

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
I have the P-lip system standard and it is a great pipe. The P-lip has a slightly different draw from the standard fishtail, but they are in my opinion both great to smoke. If I could find a reasonably priced estate pipe, I would probably give it a try. The one's I've seen lately are priced almost has high as a new one.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I have a system standard that I got new - I keep my eye out on ebay and see prices ranging from 60 to 200 for system pipes for estates. I would say as long as you salt treatment and/or retort after you get it to sanitize it - it'll prob. be ok but then again I have yet to pick up one off ebay.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Quincy, an afterthought - if you want to buy new you should consider a UK retailer (they sell Petersons significantly cheaper than their US counterparts). Maybe have a look at prices on mysmokingshop or the pipeshop (Edinburgh)?

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have 6 Peterson system pipes, all bought new. Unlike with my other pipes, mostly Ser Jacs, Castellos, Radices, Dunhills, Mastro de Pajas etc, the cost differential between new and estate Petes seems like not much of a bargain. I don't like plips so mine are all fishtails, but what I noticed is that a couple of them the stems are very thick near the lip, and make clenching almost impossible. Just another evidence of the laxity in their production I suppose. That along with the way many draft holes are drilled haphazardly makes it seem as though nobody at the factory has ever smoked a pipe.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I would say just go with the new one, but if you do go with an estate salt down the shank cleans them up nice. I would say really check ebay though, I have gotten both mine there from a shop in England. He sells them for same price new as a good estate here.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I just sold a System Standard 303 fishtail here for $75. I bought it new in 2005 and it was a swell pipe, but I just don't do bents anymore. I didn't clean the well after every smoke, more like every fourth or fifth, and then once a year I'd do the salt and alcohol treatment on both the bowl and the well. I never really had issues with that pipe going sour at all.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I got my first System Standard for my birthday and absolutely love it. It definitely is a cooler drier smoke than any other pipe I've smoked.
Cleaning them is a breeze. They're military mounted so you can remove the stem right away. I just run the cleaner through the stem and then the draft hole. Then I bend the cleaner and clean out the well and lastly the bowl.
I would definitely recommend them to anyone. There's a reason why they've been on the market since 1894 or whatever it is.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"How do you clean the well?"
I fold a pipe cleaner and run it through. On last night's Radio Show, Peterson expert Mark Irwin mentioned twisting up a tissue or paper towel and running that down into the well after every smoke.
Bob

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I find with most of my system pipes, that a tapered pipe cleaner comes in handy for cleaning the p-lip. To clean the well, fold it in half, creating a U shape, not a V shape, and go down the shank. You will feel it kinda pop into the well, and simply turn the cleaner a few times to soak up the moisture.
With wells that havent been cleaned, salt treatment works well. For stubborn ones, usually the shank is bad as well. I use some alcohol and Q-tips to clean that out. Usually after about 20 or so q-tips it comes clean.
Warren

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I have several p-lip System Petes and I love them! As others have noted, don't forget to clean the well as well as the draw hole and stem hole. i'm not a big fan of estate pipes myself as I've had difficulties getting them cleaned up to my satisfaction. I do like to buy new Petes from a B&M so I can eyeball them first. As shutterbugg (and others on this forums) noted, there do seem to some quality problems these days. Happy puffin',
Dave :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.