PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhasman

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2013
Chicago, IL
Hello pipe smokers!

Question for you all how have any Dunhill Second pipes - what brand do you put on 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, which one do you like more - Savory's Argyll, Parker, Hardcastle? Usually all of them have similar shapes and model numbering, nomenclature.

Thanks!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
An interesting question, I'm curious as to what others have to say. I have examples of all three, and they are all fine smoking pipes.
Dave

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I admit I'm skeptical of Dunhill "seconds," if that is meant to suggest that they were carved as Dunhills and

then picked off the line and re-purposed. If there is any selecting out, I think it is at the level of the briar

itself. I have a Parker poker cherrywood that is a fine little smoker. Also a Britannia, an excellent smooth

Dublin and very light weight for its size; the Britannia-Dunhill connection is less clear, but I think there is

at least a contractual connection. The shapes of Parkers and Hardcastles have never struck me as similar

enough to Dunhill shapes to be true seconds, and the Britannia even less so. I didn't buy either of these

pipes thinking I was getting in on the Dunhill level of pipe, but they do a good job. Iwan Ries had some

great old Hardcastles with brass bands a few years ago, gone now, and I wish I had bought one, especially

inasmuch as they were about forty bucks.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I'm with tBrad on Savory Argylls. One of them, a Prince, puffs sweeter than most of my Dunnies. And the stem shape of my 3 SA Princes is proper - I think the last few years of Dunny/White Spot Princes way overdid the bend in the stems.
hp

les

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
An interesting thread as often pipes are sold on ebay as dunhill parker, dunhill hardcastle etc. It also raises broader questions about seconds and pipes made by one company for another.

May 31, 2012
I've always favored Parker.
But I've got a big 286 Savory's blasted billy that smokes like a real champ,

and Savory's had the coolest boxes!
xek3519.jpg

One thing I've never been able to find out about Savory's,

which stem logo was earlier,

the uppercase cursive S or the S-crown?

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-s3.html
TVDpeq2.jpg

Also,

add Tally Ho to the list...
x5Ph20i.jpg

Yhk0CXx.jpg

mhasman

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2013
Chicago, IL
I called Parker and Hardcastle "Second" because old Parked bulldogs I have are 100% similar to old Dunhill bulldogs, with the same "Made In England" nomenclature and year numbering, the same size (4) and (3) symbol in circle. That makes me thinking those bulldogs did not pass Dunhill's quality control to get white dot, but root quality and final shape are good enough to be Parker. The same with few Hardcastles I owned.

May 31, 2012
...100% similar to old Dunhill bulldogs, with the same "Made In England" nomenclature and year numbering, the same size (4) and (3) symbol in circle. That makes me thinking those bulldogs did not pass Dunhill's quality control to get white dot, but root quality and final shape are good enough to be Parker.
Indeed they are.
I was lucky enough to find myself a 1939 unsmoked Super Briar Bark...

bgAoQYS.jpg

sJ0JxQo.jpg

The term that Dunhill used in-house for the stummels that didn't meet White Spot quality was "fallings".

:puffy:

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I have a couple of Hardcastles that I would put up against any pipe I've ever smoked. Think I'll start watching the Savory listings...

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I have a Golden Parker Group 6 Panel that I got from a cousin. It's a great smoker, but it's a bit on the large side for me.
669cd11b5921945f0bbb0127bcb3cdb3_zps1f55272f.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks coffeeman. The provenance of Britannia has always been a little unclear to me. They're out of the Dunhill

camp then. Cup O Joes says something like they are made by the largest pipe maker in London, so maybe it's by

volume of production or some other measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.