PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I'm sure this has come up before, but I couldn't find anything helpful. So, here I am to ask it again:
Is there a noticeable difference between the bulk and tinned varieties of tobacco? I'm mostly curious about blends that come in both, but also about blend that might only come in bulk.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
My opinion is that in most blends, new they have similar qualities. As a general matter, blends age better in tins, but mason jars do a decent job.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Well, it's the same tobacco... Simple answer is "not much".
However, tins are sealed and are better preserved. This can help a lot with aging, which a lot of forum dwellers enjoy doing. I'm an accidental ager, and have enjoyed Gaslight out of a swollen tin, which was great. Poorly stored bulk may need some rehydration every now and then.
Cosmic may have a more definitive "who cares" advice for this :)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I haven't really done side by side comparisons, but in the end the price of bulk makes it worthwhile. Alot of bulks do well if you seal them in mason jar for a month or so before you smoke them. The main difference I've noticed in things like G&H and SG bulk vs tinned is just the size of the flakes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tinned tobacco is tinned fresh, nearly always, I suspect, so the quality will be more consistent. 'Hope I'm not being too optimistic. Bulk, it depends on how fresh it is when it arrives to you. The "big" online retailers seem to sell a lot, so they keep the supply moving, hence you get a fresh product with the more popular blends. With less popular blends, it's a toss-up -- you get what you get -- fresh, a little dried out, or maybe some stale. I think the least dependable may be brick and mortar bulk, where the blends that don't move have been sitting around, but in jars that get opened, hence don't provide for secure aging. Most of the shop bulk blends are pretty good, but if it looks a little dried out and shelf-worn, it may be. This is strictly homespun but it reflects my experience.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
This is an interesting question due to the FDA rules. Retailers used to be able to measure out bulk tobacco and bag it for the customer. Now the manufacturer has to bag it and then send it to the retailer. Retailers can't rebag tobacco anymore so does this mean bulk will be fresher now?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I guess a big part of it is how the retailer takes care of the tobacco once it comes from the manufacturer. I've never had any problems with tobacco being too dry from 4noggins. I guess also if the tobacco dries out and the retailer rehydrates it it's going to lose it's flavor as well. Overall though from a technical standpoint it doesn't make sense how there would be a difference between bulk and tinned besides once it's tinned it starts melding better, which is why I state it needs some time in a mason jar usually to bring out it's best. I can't see a manufacturer making different versions, I can see them tinning some and leaving the rest of it bulk.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Years ago the president of a certain large tobacco company (still in operation), once told me this; General rule of thumb is that the better the tobacco, the better the chance of it being tinned.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If its a popular blend that sells regularly the tobacco should come fairly fresh; though not as fresh as tinned tobacco. If its an unpopular, or not as popular, blend that sits around for a while it won't be as fresh, but if it comes from a good retailer/distributor the tobacco should be kept well. I've never had a problem with any of the bulk tobacco's I've purchased, and they keep well in my mason jars. I've got tobacco that's been in jars for a couple years and I've not had any issues with dried out tobacco. As far as flavor/taste I've never noticed a difference either. If there is a blend you enjoy that comes in bulk, then buy it. It's a good savings.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Then there's blends like Orlik Golden Sliced where there's a different product in the 100G tins than the 50G tins.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Is there a noticeable difference between the bulk and tinned varieties of tobacco?
Inevitably, yes. Bulk is stored in ziploc bags, and tins in steel.
But practically? Varies with the manufacturer, and generally, I prefer the bulk version!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Another factor when trying to compare tins vs. Bulk is they may have rather different age even though they reach your door on the same day.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I might be doing a mistake but I put every single tobacco that crosses this door in a sealed jar immediately. I only keep things in tins if I don't have room in a jar.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
coyote, I feel the same way about Early Morning Pipe. The tin version I love, but the bulk just doesn't taste the same.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Carver. I think you are correct. There is no need to open a sealed coin twist or pop top tin unless you're going to smoke the tobacco inside that tin. My 2 cents anyway.
Mike S.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I really like Squadron Leader out of the tin, BUT a few years ago I ordered Squadron Leader in bulk boxes, so I thought I'd light some of it up.....whoa.....big difference straight out of the box. Squadron Leader in a box, IMHO, needs to be jarred and have at least a year on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.