Q: Is a used Savinelli Roma 316 KS (in good shape) worth USD 43 (CAD 56)?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

csibuk

Lurker
Jul 12, 2015
Cavan, Ontario, Canada
Gentlemen,
I have the question in the topic line.
The pipe looks in a very good shape. Would it be a good deal to pay USD 43 (CAD 56) for it?
Thank you for any input in advance!
csibuk

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
At $43, that is approximately half the price of a new Roma. I find Savinelli pipes to be great smokers for the money, I own 5 and none are "duds". I own a Roma and its a great pipe.
If you find the condition acceptable to you for the price- go for it. If I was offered a Roma for $43 and the stem was in great condition, rim char was minimal, and general wear was minimal- I'd bite. However, if there is even moderate stem wear/chatter/tooth marks, significant rim char, etc....I'd save $30 and go new.
So, generally- $43 should get you a real nice pipe, unless its beat up. As far ask "risk"- I find Savs to be pretty consistent so if a $80-90 factory pipe of of acceptable quality to you (it is to me)- then I'd say there's a real good chance you'll have a nice new friend.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
What I can't answer for you is if you want to order from a Hungarian site. I probably wouldn't. I did take a risk on a Sav being shipped from Italy and it worked out very well, but that was on eBay.

csibuk

Lurker
Jul 12, 2015
Cavan, Ontario, Canada
Thank you for all your inputs - I have decided to go for it, after all.
tarak - as for ordering from Hungary, I FULLY understand (and completely agree with) your reservations - this item will be actually paid for and picked up by a relative who lives in Hungary, and I will take it from her this August during my trip there.
I do intend to report back about the pipe (and several other ones I have obtained in the meantime) after I have come back in September.
Thanks again for everyone,
csibuk

Status
Not open for further replies.