PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggles

Lurker
Sep 25, 2015
Atlanta
I am fairly new to PM (but have been pipe smoker for over 10 years), but have ordered tobacco and pipes from all over North America...but does anyone have a good rec from a reputable UK or Germany tobacco retailer that can ship to US - with decent shipping? One quote I got was over $40 for shipping (incl taxes, etc) a small tin of tobacco (!!?).
I searched the archives and could not find what I was looking for, but I am sure someone here has a simple answer for a newbie like myself to PM.
Many thanks for any advice you can provide.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
You have buy enough to offset the high shipping. I've bought from Fox's in Dublin and Dan Pipe in Germany with no problems.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Just ordered 18 tins of Germains special latakia flake and total including shipping was 208.00. Shipping was only 20.00 for 1kg of tobacco. All tins are spoken for as I am sharing with friends and only keeping 5 tins for myself.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
On Monday I ordered 300g about 10oz I think from Germany to Ireland and paid 10e around 12$ postage. 20 to the USA seems very good value,there tarheel

A kilo of tobacco USA to Ireland would most likely be in the 60$ region.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I wanted to order some house blends from GQ Tobaccos in Nottingham, UK... but sadly they don't ship tobacco oversees (they'll ship anything else on their site but not tobacco). I guess it'll just be extra special if I ever find myself on that side of the pond and can make it to the store.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
As far as a I know if you contact Mr Quelch directly he can ship outside Britain, I think the issue has something to do with foreign credit cards.

jeffya2

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2015
Ontario Canada
Postage is crazy. I usually order enough tins to average $1.00 / tin cost, but that lasts for several years as a few are shared with friends

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The idea of a group order is a tempting one... depending on US postage costs, you could even do it across the country and still come out ahead.
My cynical/humorous sentiment is that shippers prefer large packages because they are less likely to lose them, but more probably it's economies of scale.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I only charged 14.00 per tin of germain special latakia flake. Came out a head as several of my tins were paid for.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
with gq you have to do a wire transfer as they cant use credit cards outside eu to ship to the us.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I have some strang drying for me after dinner smoke.

Apparently it tastes like... eh chicken...

Status
Not open for further replies.