PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

midniteryder

Lurker
Aug 3, 2009
Had some dental work done last Friday that included a tooth being pulled. Does anybody know how long I should wait before lighting up a bowl.Don't even want to ask the dentist,ya know how that discussion will go!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
One of the best things to do for a pulled tooth is to bite on a warm wet tea bag. The tanic acid promotes healing, especially if there are no stitches.

I waited about a week after my extraction.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The thing you have to worry about is the plug in the extraction site becomeing dry and falling out . Wet a cotton ball and place over the wound . Then you can smoke .

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
3 days is what they told me! Something about the clotting and healing of the site

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I cannot comment on when you can smoke, but I can tell you one thing for sure,.....based on a personal experience,....you do NOT want a "dry socket".

I repeat: you do NOT want a dry socket.

Call your dentist.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
Just smoke on the other side. I have never had any issues and I have had all kinds of dental work done. Rinse out your mouth with Hydrogen Peroxcide after a smoke helps.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Ask your dentist, you tnk he doesn't allready know you smoke ? You can't expect to get profesional advice if you are unwilling to be upfront and honest.

Relax and give yourself a break;and while your at it....give your dentist abreak too.

midniteryder

Lurker
Aug 3, 2009
Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I like the teabag idea and I do think I have a dry socket. I have been putting clove oil on it and going back to the dentist to get it stuffed into the socket/ cotton and clove oil. This is the first time going to this dentist and it has been a really long time since I have been to the dentist. Sorry everytime I go they inflict pain, so i'm not warm and fuzzy about any dentist or giving any a break LOL

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Midnite...

If you time it right you can get a finger... even if it doens't break... they'll yell.

Then you can repeat those immortal words first spoken by Dennis the menace... "See ain't nothin' wrong with my teeth."

bsilverman

Lurker
Oct 16, 2010
I'll chime in here since I'm a pipe smoking dentist. Complications after extractions include bleeding, infection, inflammation, and aberrations in normal healing. Smoking can contribute to all four complications. The negative pressure of sucking through a straw or a pipe can disturb a blood clot and cause bleeding. This risk diminishes quickly. Usually abstaining for 24 hrs. is sufficient. A "dry socket" is an aberration in healing and not an infection. A dry socket is an atypical problem, but when it occurs it is characterized by two things, extreme pain (not just sore and tender) and a terrible odor. Tobacco smoke can make a person more prone to dry socket. Infection after extraction is caused by bacteria, and almost never by viruses. Even in health, there is no place on the human body with more bacteria than the mouth. Smoking does not increase the bacteria count per se. Inflammation is a different process mediated by compounds the body produces in response to a variety of stimulants including trauma and tobacco smoke. The trauma of an extraction plus the irritation of tobacco smoke can have an additive affect and exaggerate the body's inflammatory response. This can alter the healing process (dry socket), and/or make the extraction site more tender and painful. The potential problem with the increased tenderness is that it can make it more difficult to maintain good dental hygiene. Poor hygiene means more bacteria and a greater chance of infection.
The tannins in tea promote hemostasis (clotting of blood). It helps to stop an extraction site from bleeding but does not have any affect on preventing inflammation, infection, or dry socket.
There are just a few things to consider as far as what increases the likelihood of complications after an extraction, in connection with smoking. 1. How much you smoke. 2. How long you wait to smoke after the extraction. 3. How traumatic the extraction was. Smoking less and waiting longer help to avoid complications. As far as how traumatic the extraction is, this is something the patient is generally unable to appreciate. Considerations would be how much...one tooth or multiple teeth; was it a "simple extraction" or a "surgical extraction"; was bone exposed or was bone removed in order to extract the tooth; were the gums moved away from the bone in the process of extracting the tooth, and were any blood vessels within the bone itself exposed or ruptured in the process of the extraction. All these factors influence how prone one is to any of these complications.
Lastly, there are two other matters that come into play. Extractions of teeth from the lower jaw are more prone to dry socket than extractions of the teeth from the upper jaw. Extractions of posterior teeth (especially molars) from the upper jaw are prone to causing trauma to the maxillary sinuses which leave a person very prone to infection. If the floor of the sinus is irritated or damaged in an extraction, smoking should definitely be discontinued until healing is further along, I would say a week at the very least, several weeks is advisable. The problem here is that patients are generally unaware if sinus involvement has occurred, and often dentists are unable to detect that the sinus was damaged, themselves.
So don't smoke for at lest 24 hours to avoid bleeding problems. Smoke less if the extraction took more than 10 minutes (of actual working time to remove the tooth, not including getting numb, etc.), wait longer if the extraction is of an impacted tooth, especially wisdom teeth, or if there is a known perforation of the maxillary sinus. Also, use common sense. Pain is an indicator that some sort of compromised situation exists, one or more of the complications I mentioned above. If it hurts, don't smoke. That's probably your best rule of thumb. Hope this helps.

Reactions: jipper

midniteryder

Lurker
Aug 3, 2009
Thanks Doc for the informative input and taking the time. I just knew there was a dentist lurking in the wings LOL. Its been 6 days since the extraction and i'm chomping at the bit to lite a bowl. I have been going back to the office and getting the site packed,yep dry socket. Then I found my newest best friend, clove oil. Amazing stuff that works. Yes it still hurt so I may wait a little longer. Thanks again and have an awesome ThanksGiving!!

Status
Not open for further replies.