Puffing:Short and plenty or Long and full?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Yeah, short, sweet but plentifull puffs or long, slow and full puffs? (or somewhere in the middle)
What's your style? Type of pipe, baccy and what not obviously dictate to a degree, but what is your preferrence in ideal conditions?
I'm leaning towards short but plenty. It gives off more smoke to bask in (and sniff) and for me, doesn't get my tongue as hot or sore after a heavy session compared to long full draws.
Although a slow full draw gets the biggest flavour boost on your palet, I'm finding it's just giving my tongue bother the last week or so.
I also snork (blow out my nose), and although full draws give the best dragon effect, they make it a bit eye watering! lol
So, what's your thoughts fellow puffers of the brown leaf?
Cheers,
Samon

Mar 1, 2014
Ideally when the tobacco is burning well I like to take five seconds to slowly let a small amount of smoke in my mouth. Maximum exposure with minimal volume or movement. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Mar 1, 2014
Also my sipping style is mostly all through the pipe.

I sit there with the stem in my mouth and watch the smoke rise from the bowl, breathing through my nose the whole time but occasionally letting a bit of smoke out my mouth to drift up to my nose immediately before exhaling. Probably the closest I'll ever get to a retrohale.

Smoking and breathing are almost completely separate actions, I could go for a light jog and keep the same cadence if I wanted (if you can jog with a Churchwarden in your mouth).

I think what I'm doing might be loosely related to the term "breath smoking" that gets tossed around every once in a while, but breathing and cadence are separate here.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
As I age, "slow" seems to be the working speed for most of my endeavors.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Long and slow preferred here. Tobacco burns better that way, and it enables me to pack more into the mouth. Also avoids pipe overheating, although I'm thinking about converting one of these liquid cooling rigs for microprocessors to use with a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.