PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Hello, fellow smokers. I have finally finished my first short novel, and it is now published as an eBook on Amazon.
I am running a free book promotion on it for 24 hours, starting November 15th.
It is titled The Alchemist Chronicles: Book 1, and does have some pipe smoking in it. It is aimed at younger adult readers, but some of you here may enjoy it. This is my first novel, so please don't expect Tolkein or anything.
All I ask is that if you liked it, please take the time to leave a four or five star review on Amazon. If you didn't like it, well... how about no review at all? :mrgreen:
Kindle books can be read on Kindle readers, and through the Kindle app on any phone, tablet, or computer.
And please don't post any story spoilers here. Thanks everyone. :puffy:
Link

Jan 8, 2013
I'll probably read it on my Amazon Fire. I'm currently gearing up to finish my own fantasy novel. I'm 140,000 words into it. Although I would prefer traditional print, I'm contemplating eBook. Of course I never thought I'd get an Amazon Kindle or Fire, but now that I have one I can't put it down. How do you go about publishing on Amazon?

Nov 12, 2017
Ah, seems interesting! Congratulations! I'd like to give it a go. I've favorited this thread so I remember to come back to it.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Hi Anthony. My short novel is only about 18,600 words (~62 pages on Kindle devices), and I probably edited the final rough draft at least 30 times before submitting it for publication. I cannot imagine personally going through and editing one with 140,000+ words. 8O
Converting it to eBook for publication is a fairly involved process, especially as a beginner for the first time. To help you get you started, here are some useful links:
Link 1
Link 2

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Ah, seems interesting! Congratulations! I'd like to give it a go. I've favorited this thread so I remember to come back to it.
Very cool! And congrats! I've got it in my que and look forward to reading.
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the support. Even though it's considered a novella (short novel), I did put many long hours into writing and editing it. It does have pipe smoking in it, because I felt that was a very important aspect to include. :wink:
I really don't know what kind of reception it will get, but good or bad, I am looking forward to seeing what readers think. It's no epic- just a short and (hopefully) fun fantasy story that can be finished in a few hours. I grew playing Dungeons and Dragons Pen & Paper RPG as a teenager in the 1980s, and I tried to capture that old-school flavor in this book. I already have the next four books in the series all planned out, so we'll see how sales go on this one before I begin the next.

Jan 8, 2013
I cannot imagine personally going through and editing one with 140,000+ words.
It's really not so bad. After each chapter is written, I go back and read it and edit it, sometimes multiple times. I've also returned to the beginning a few times to read and edit as a whole. Once the final chapters are written and edited, I'll go back and re-read it's entirety with editing chapter by chapter once more. Maybe twice... or thrice :mrgreen: Also by going back to the beginning to read, it helps bring me back into the story to continue on to the next chapter.
Even though it's considered a novella (short novel), I did put many long hours into writing and editing it.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. It's mental blood, sweat, and tears that go into writing. Regardless of length. I've often been more exhausted by writing and editing for a few hours than I have after a long day of physical labor.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I hear you Anthony. My unpublished 125K word SF opus only took a month and a half to write but four months to track down and kill all the typos and punctuation boggles. I must have read it completely through ten times, one of the advantages of not having a deadline, but doubtless there are a few glitches still lurking. Fortunately I changed very little of the actual content since I'm mostly happy with it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Regardless of length. I've often been more exhausted by writing and editing for a few hours than I have after a long day of physical labor.
I have heard this observation before, and tend to agree with it.
My unpublished 125K word SF opus only took a month and a half to write but four months to track down and kill all the typos and punctuation boggles.
Editing is a beast and often requires another person to do it. In fact, most writers prefer that for the very reason you mention above: fresh eyes, a different perspective, and the ability to make decisions without agonizing are essential traits of the editor.
Just finished editing an ebook for publication, and am now working on another, in addition to having published a work of my own. If you need formatting/editing help, you now know one place to look.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
"Just finished editing an ebook for publication, and am now working on another, in addition to having published a work of my own. If you need formatting/editing help, you now know one place to look."
Thanks deathmetal but I'm not really interested in publishing, conventional or ebook. I'm actually quite proud of the effort but at my age I have no great urge to get the work "out there" or to monetize it in an unbelievably crowded market. I've been reading SF since the middle fifties and finally decided to try my hand at it. I certainly don't object to anyone reading it, and a few dozen brave souls have, but I'm content to keep it as free PDF to anyone who might be interested.
For what it's worth the limited feedback I've gotten has been fairly positive. The central macguffin is, so far as I can tell, unique. At least I haven't run across it in the 8-10 thousand books I've read in the past 60 plus years. Here's the Google Docs link for those as may be interested. It's a PDF but I recently managed to get satisfactory mobi and epub versions in the can if someone would prefer that.
To Sail The Purest Sea

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Thank you for making it available. I'm going to throw it on the reading stack because who doesn't like good sci-fi?

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Well, day 1 and I just made my first eBook sale. I don't know if it was someone from here or not, but whoever and wherever you are- thank you. :)
I agree that the market is saturated, but there has never been a better time to be an indie publisher. Long gone are the days of writers being rejected by multiple publishers in an attempt to get a book into paper print. And so are the days of publishers taking 90% of the profits (and the book rights). Gotta love Amazon and eBooks. Gives the little guys a chance.
My free eBook 24 hour promotion should be available sometime tomorrow.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
The e-book is now free for the next 24 hours. Enjoy the pipe smoking scenes. :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Interesting stuff, quint. Thanks for making it available, and for the help with that large shark.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
quint

Got it. Thanks. It’s my first Kindle for iPhone book.

I’ll try to read it soon & remember to give feedback.
darwin

Got you book as well. Love the cover (though personally I would have a redhead model).

I read the first page & am hooked.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Writing a "quattortina"/sonnet sequence, The quattortina has 14 lines per stanza in 14 stanzas, each with the same 14 end words, following the root form of the sestina that uses six; with a major emphasis is the seven planes of existence from from Meher Baba's "God Speaks." Its stanzas alternate with 13 sonnets, which echo the inverse of the theme of the quattortina. Constant revisions since 05/17. Another in progress in the attempt to be 90% done by 01/01/18.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks for the hook up, man! I’m downloading it right now. I prefer to actually read from a paper book (just like the way it feels) but I can’t pass up a free book!

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Interesting stuff, quint. Thanks for making it available, and for the help with that large shark.
Thanks for downloading, deathmetal. Looking forward to your feedback. That shark was one big s.o.b. Too bad he ate me before Brody could kill him.
quint

Got it. Thanks. It’s my first Kindle for iPhone book.

I’ll try to read it soon & remember to give feedback.
Thanks cossackjack. I hope you like it, and thanks for your feedback. It's aimed at the young adult audience, and is meant to be a quick and fun read, so please don't expect a deep, philosophical story or epic political struggles. But with that said, I think older adults might enjoy it, too- especially pipe smokers. :) By the way, it averages 101 pages on Kindle devices (not 62).
Thanks for the hook up, man! I’m downloading it right now. I prefer to actually read from a paper book (just like the way it feels) but I can’t pass up a free book!
Thanks for downloading, hawky. It's my first novel, and I hope you enjoy it. I am usually puffing away on my pipe while writing. Helps with my creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.