Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   

Published My First EBook Fantasy Novel - Get It Free for a Limited Time

(28 posts)
  1. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

Hello, fellow smokers. I have finally finished my first short novel, and it is now published as an eBook on Amazon.

I am running a free book promotion on it for 24 hours, starting November 15th.

It is titled The Alchemist Chronicles: Book 1, and does have some pipe smoking in it. It is aimed at younger adult readers, but some of you here may enjoy it. This is my first novel, so please don't expect Tolkein or anything.

All I ask is that if you liked it, please take the time to leave a four or five star review on Amazon. If you didn't like it, well... how about no review at all?

Kindle books can be read on Kindle readers, and through the Kindle app on any phone, tablet, or computer.

And please don't post any story spoilers here. Thanks everyone.

Link

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll probably read it on my Amazon Fire. I'm currently gearing up to finish my own fantasy novel. I'm 140,000 words into it. Although I would prefer traditional print, I'm contemplating eBook. Of course I never thought I'd get an Amazon Kindle or Fire, but now that I have one I can't put it down. How do you go about publishing on Amazon?

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

auburnfan

Login to Send PM

Very cool! And congrats! I've got it in my que and look forward to reading.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. smokinginquirer

smokinginquirer

Login to Send PM

Ah, seems interesting! Congratulations! I'd like to give it a go. I've favorited this thread so I remember to come back to it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

Hi Anthony. My short novel is only about 18,600 words (~62 pages on Kindle devices), and I probably edited the final rough draft at least 30 times before submitting it for publication. I cannot imagine personally going through and editing one with 140,000+ words.

Converting it to eBook for publication is a fairly involved process, especially as a beginner for the first time. To help you get you started, here are some useful links:

Link 1

Link 2

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

Ah, seems interesting! Congratulations! I'd like to give it a go. I've favorited this thread so I remember to come back to it.

Very cool! And congrats! I've got it in my que and look forward to reading.

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the support. Even though it's considered a novella (short novel), I did put many long hours into writing and editing it. It does have pipe smoking in it, because I felt that was a very important aspect to include.

I really don't know what kind of reception it will get, but good or bad, I am looking forward to seeing what readers think. It's no epic- just a short and (hopefully) fun fantasy story that can be finished in a few hours. I grew playing Dungeons and Dragons Pen & Paper RPG as a teenager in the 1980s, and I tried to capture that old-school flavor in this book. I already have the next four books in the series all planned out, so we'll see how sales go on this one before I begin the next.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I cannot imagine personally going through and editing one with 140,000+ words.
    It's really not so bad. After each chapter is written, I go back and read it and edit it, sometimes multiple times. I've also returned to the beginning a few times to read and edit as a whole. Once the final chapters are written and edited, I'll go back and re-read it's entirety with editing chapter by chapter once more. Maybe twice... or thrice Also by going back to the beginning to read, it helps bring me back into the story to continue on to the next chapter.

Even though it's considered a novella (short novel), I did put many long hours into writing and editing it.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. It's mental blood, sweat, and tears that go into writing. Regardless of length. I've often been more exhausted by writing and editing for a few hours than I have after a long day of physical labor.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. darwin

darwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hear you Anthony. My unpublished 125K word SF opus only took a month and a half to write but four months to track down and kill all the typos and punctuation boggles. I must have read it completely through ten times, one of the advantages of not having a deadline, but doubtless there are a few glitches still lurking. Fortunately I changed very little of the actual content since I'm mostly happy with it.

Viewing with alarm since 1948.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Regardless of length. I've often been more exhausted by writing and editing for a few hours than I have after a long day of physical labor.

I have heard this observation before, and tend to agree with it.

My unpublished 125K word SF opus only took a month and a half to write but four months to track down and kill all the typos and punctuation boggles.

Editing is a beast and often requires another person to do it. In fact, most writers prefer that for the very reason you mention above: fresh eyes, a different perspective, and the ability to make decisions without agonizing are essential traits of the editor.

Just finished editing an ebook for publication, and am now working on another, in addition to having published a work of my own. If you need formatting/editing help, you now know one place to look.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Writing is easy. You just sit at the typewriter and open a vein!

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. darwin

darwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Just finished editing an ebook for publication, and am now working on another, in addition to having published a work of my own. If you need formatting/editing help, you now know one place to look."

Thanks deathmetal but I'm not really interested in publishing, conventional or ebook. I'm actually quite proud of the effort but at my age I have no great urge to get the work "out there" or to monetize it in an unbelievably crowded market. I've been reading SF since the middle fifties and finally decided to try my hand at it. I certainly don't object to anyone reading it, and a few dozen brave souls have, but I'm content to keep it as free PDF to anyone who might be interested.

For what it's worth the limited feedback I've gotten has been fairly positive. The central macguffin is, so far as I can tell, unique. At least I haven't run across it in the 8-10 thousand books I've read in the past 60 plus years. Here's the Google Docs link for those as may be interested. It's a PDF but I recently managed to get satisfactory mobi and epub versions in the can if someone would prefer that.

To Sail The Purest Sea

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you for making it available. I'm going to throw it on the reading stack because who doesn't like good sci-fi?

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

Well, day 1 and I just made my first eBook sale. I don't know if it was someone from here or not, but whoever and wherever you are- thank you.

I agree that the market is saturated, but there has never been a better time to be an indie publisher. Long gone are the days of writers being rejected by multiple publishers in an attempt to get a book into paper print. And so are the days of publishers taking 90% of the profits (and the book rights). Gotta love Amazon and eBooks. Gives the little guys a chance.

My free eBook 24 hour promotion should be available sometime tomorrow.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

The e-book is now free for the next 24 hours. Enjoy the pipe smoking scenes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting stuff, quint. Thanks for making it available, and for the help with that large shark.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

quint
    Got it. Thanks. It’s my first Kindle for iPhone book.
    I’ll try to read it soon & remember to give feedback.

darwin
    Got you book as well. Love the cover (though personally I would have a redhead model).
    I read the first page & am hooked.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Writing a "quattortina"/sonnet sequence, The quattortina has 14 lines per stanza in 14 stanzas, each with the same 14 end words, following the root form of the sestina that uses six; with a major emphasis is the seven planes of existence from from Meher Baba's "God Speaks." Its stanzas alternate with 13 sonnets, which echo the inverse of the theme of the quattortina. Constant revisions since 05/17. Another in progress in the attempt to be 90% done by 01/01/18.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the hook up, man! I’m downloading it right now. I prefer to actually read from a paper book (just like the way it feels) but I can’t pass up a free book!

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

Interesting stuff, quint. Thanks for making it available, and for the help with that large shark.

Thanks for downloading, deathmetal. Looking forward to your feedback. That shark was one big s.o.b. Too bad he ate me before Brody could kill him.

quint
    Got it. Thanks. It’s my first Kindle for iPhone book.
    I’ll try to read it soon & remember to give feedback.

Thanks cossackjack. I hope you like it, and thanks for your feedback. It's aimed at the young adult audience, and is meant to be a quick and fun read, so please don't expect a deep, philosophical story or epic political struggles. But with that said, I think older adults might enjoy it, too- especially pipe smokers. By the way, it averages 101 pages on Kindle devices (not 62).

Thanks for the hook up, man! I’m downloading it right now. I prefer to actually read from a paper book (just like the way it feels) but I can’t pass up a free book!

Thanks for downloading, hawky. It's my first novel, and I hope you enjoy it. I am usually puffing away on my pipe while writing. Helps with my creativity.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. smokinginquirer

smokinginquirer

Login to Send PM

I grabbed it earlier today. Will be sure to try and provide some feedback.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

Still no reviews on Amazon. Anyone here finish reading it yet?

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. darwin

darwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Quint I think the tale works well enough on most counts but my sense is that it would be better pitched as a juvenile rather than a YA. Many YAs these days are reading full blown "adult" fantasy and SF and labeling it as a YA may actually discourage them from reading it although the YA label might actually attract juvenile readers. Seems to me these categories have become much more ambiguous the last few years.

However you pitch it you might get some pushback from the usual suspects that portraying people enjoying smoking so much is irresponsible. Obviously we aren't bothered by it but if the work gets any traction somebody's liable to squawk that including pipe smoking in a YA is beyond the pale. It might not be a problem but anti-tobacco busybodies have a nose for this sort of thing. At any rate I don't have any particular credentials as a critic so I could be way off on all counts.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

darwin, thanks for your feedback. Did you read the whole thing? I know it's not a deep read- more of a quick and fun lite fantasy quest style. I did list it as recommended for Age Level: 12 - 18 and Grade Level: 6 - 12 on Amazon, so it is also targeted at juvenile readers.

I also understand that it could upset some parents if they saw their children reading a book with pipe smoking in it (heaven forbid!), but I guess that's the chance I'm willing to take. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books all have pipe smoking in them, and they are some of the most popular children and young adult fantasy books of all time. I did leave out extreme blood/gore, bad language, and sexual situations, so hopefully parents can overlook the pipe smoking part.

And you may be right about young adult readers being turned off by it, but I was under the impression that many older adults these days are reverting back to reading young adult novels (not to mention the popularity of adult coloring books!). The inner child of many adults wants to reminisce back to better, younger days. Also, I keep hearing that many adult readers don't want to read heavy, complicated, deep, drawn-out, 'epic' stories with politics and power struggles, etc. Supposedly novellas in particular are becoming very popular these days because many adult readers do not have the time nor patience to invest in 400-800+ page novels. They just want a quick, lite read that they can finish in a couple of hours while riding the train to work or sitting at their desk during lunchtime. But as you said, maybe many young adult readers these days do want longer, deeper, more serious novels to read. I honestly don't know.

I could be wrong about the above. We'll see I suppose. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read it. I know it's hard to give it a balanced review because I think many members here are more mature than the average adult and prefer reading the longer, deeper, more complicated and serious stuff.

I am currently working on the second novella in the series, and am so far about 25% done with it. Should be finished in a few weeks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

Here's an interesting thread I found on another site talking about cigarette smoking in juvenile and young adult novels. Mind you, it's 10 years old, but still relevant today I'm sure. Besides, I'm guessing pipe smoking would be even more acceptable in a children's or young adult fantasy than cigarette smoking in a young adult romance.

I met with an editor at one of the the big houses for children's and YA a couple of weeks ago. he said that ANYthing goes in YA these days. If it's right for the character, then go for it.

Link

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

My Kindle eBook fantasy novella is now free once again for the next 24 hours. Please keep in mind that it is a light, fun read aimed mostly at children and young adult readers, so it may not be mature enough for many of you sophisticated pipe smokers.

It is a novella, so total reading time should be between 1-4 hours (depending on age).

But if any of you have children or teens living at home that like reading fantasy stories, they might enjoy it. Also, if anyone here (or your kids) did enjoy it, I would appreciate you leaving a positive review on Amazon. Good reviews and word of mouth helps indie publishers sell more books.

eBook link

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

I also forgot to mention that if you know anyone that might be interested in reading it, you can download it now for free and 'loan' out the ebook to them through your Kindle device or app for a total of 7 days. But keep in mind that while it is loaned out, it is removed from your device and cannot be read until it is 'returned' to you (or the seven days is finished).

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just put it in my reading list on my Kindle. I am a big fan of the Kurtherian Gambit series of books. It looks like yours is similar to that genre and probably something I will like. I wish you good luck with your writing career.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

I just put it in my reading list on my Kindle. I am a big fan of the Kurtherian Gambit series of books. It looks like yours is similar to that genre and probably something I will like. I wish you good luck with your writing career.

Thanks for the encouragement, Harris. I haven't read that series yet, but it looks interesting.

I don't know if I can make a career out of it, but writing a series of old-school style fantasy novellas is always something I wanted to try. Thanks to eBook technology and Kindle Direct Publishing, I don't need a traditional publisher to get my books out there.

I actually am really enjoying the writing, and I'm not too afraid of failure. I realize very, very few fiction authors make any decent money. Either way, I'm having fun with it.

Thanks for downloading. I hope you enjoy it.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   paulfg, anthonyrosenthal74, jvnshr, shaneireland, philobeddoe, donjgiles, danish