PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

friday

Might Stick Around
Aug 23, 2012
So I am new and have a packing question. I use the 3 step method which seems to work pretty good. I do get tongue burn from time to time but thats prob from wet tobacco/former cigar smoker but my question is, When i pack a full bowl my draw is as easy as breathing. There is NO resistance at all. I Just read somewhere that you should have a "slight" resistance. Am i packing to loosely? Should I work on packing tighter? Some of the tobaccos i have tried didnt really amount to much but get rave reviews. would a loose pack not give you the true essence of the blend?
So basically should a full or any size pack have "No" or "little" resistance?
Or am i just starting a war between the 2 sides? lol

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I don't really pay much attention to the draw on my pipe when packing it. What really matters to me is that the tobacco is still slightly springy. That being said, if I pack a pipe and the draw offers resistance, I dump and re-pack. I want to smoke a pipe, not drink a McDonald's milkshake out of a coffee stirrer.

caliban

Lurker
Aug 11, 2012
I read somewhere that a packed pipe shown draw like an empty one. I don't know if this is generally true, but it is helpful to me because I tend to smoke hot. If I pack more loosely, I smoke cooler. I agree with galeon, if I can't draw, I start over, though occasionally it's just a little clog in the shank which I can free up with a pipe cleaner inserted through the attached stem.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Just piping since march so I'm a total noob here. I use the three step method too but always get some resistance. As long as I can puff away without collapsing a lung. I even ramp tighter if it gets too loose. A couple of delights no problem. I think I'm getting the full flavor of my tobaccos. I will try to pack my next bowl to get no resistance and see how that smokes and tastes. Thanks for the topic that I might be able to get more out of my baccy.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
You should have at least 70%-ish of your draw left after packing. More if it is flake that has been folded/stuffed rather than rubbed out. Depends on your draft hole too. You may want less resistance if your pipe has a small draft hole. Too little is better than too much, since it's easier to tamp after lighting than to untamp.

bigbehr

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
I have always used the 3 step method. Seems to work good for me so I see no need in changing it. I always do check for resistance.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I use the 3 step method and always want some resistance before I light up. Too much is no good, too little is no good, it takes a little practice being able to feel the right amount. Like Baron said, too little can be fixed with tamping, if it is too tight, empty the bowl and start again.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Over the years I've packed so many bowls that it's gotten so that I really don't pay much atention to how I'm packing.I usually pack a little loose and tamp as needed.I can tell by the draw and the sound that I hear.Too loose and I hear more of the sound of air.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Me too Puffy... I usually pack loose and tamp to the desired draw after lighting. A lot of times I'll pack

more tobacco in the bowl after lighting. (To have an even carbon cake in a brier or cob, or for even coloring

in a meer. You don't want to always be smoking a 3/4 full bowl).

friday

Might Stick Around
Aug 23, 2012
Thanks for all the tips. I think im gonna mess around a little with packing more loose more firm and see what happens.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
I like most others like it loose then go from there. I gravity fill 3 times then tamp last layer. Each layer settle with gentle tapping against hand.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
This is the only method I use anymore so I'll throw this out there again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHYPso7TXs&feature=relmfu

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I use that one, too. It works great with billiard type bowls and ribbon cut tobaccos. I will also "pick" sometimes. If it looks like I'm going out and will need a relight, sometimes I use the pick end of my tamper to lift up the ember and allow some airflow, then puff a couple times and re-seat it with the tamping end. Saves me relights all the time!

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
This is a good one from the Tobacco Barn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXOx7hXDRQw

Status
Not open for further replies.