PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just a passing observation on human nature and the human condition, that provocative original posts often generate more posts in response. Obviously, members don't just want to pat each other on the back -- what one angry former member, quitting Forums, fiercely referred to as (pardon me) a circle jerk. But even some serious questions on the issues and information on pipes and tobacco don't always equal the feedback on challenging, defiant, or negative original posts. Journalism gets flak for not being more positive in its editorial policies, but as we see, people respond to conflict and negativity. One likes to be sunny, but also analytical, hard-nosed, and insightful, if not downright defiant. A short-course on creativity I took, the presenter said that negativity (the plague of creativity) is often more respected and portrays the speaker as more intelligent, as a cultural matter. I kind of get that. Do people get too much credit for breaking the furniture and too little for providing the glue that keeps us in community? Or not. Any refections?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I'd love to respond but my soapbox was dashed to pieces during a rant against gravity. I'm currently look for some glue to rectify the situation; of course there's always duct tape!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I honestly don't see what purpose such BS threads serve, nor their relevance to this forum. I'm not a mod here, but if I were......CLOSED and DELETED.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"...provocative original posts often generate more posts in response."
That is true. How many "name your top five blends" can you read/respond to, before that gets played, tired, and old? How many truly original pipe/tobacco threads are actually started? Few, very few. I am still teared-up that no one rsponded to my new Two Cousins pipe rack thread. Love that pipe rack. Now mention that liberals, and those who support liberals, are literally destroying access to pipe tobacco as we know it, and "Katy bar the door." If the truth is preceived as being negative, then I guess your point is well taken.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
people respond to conflict and negativity
"Everything is fine" does not sell newspapers, nor interest people in conversation. But gossip, fear and uncertainty... those are winners.

May 4, 2015
I made the decision... Oh, two days ago I guess, to stop engaging in those sorts of things. It's not why I'm here. It is disappointing, though, that some people get their jollies from stirring up trouble. I just don't have the time or give-a-shit for that nonsense. My willingness to engage diminishes every year older I get, it seems.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Pipe Smoking Bearded Men 2016 Calendar"
^^^ That would be very positive, but not a big seller. Your positive vibe is infectious. I want to be Mr. June.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I'll volunteer to be Mr. November! Of course I'm a bit overweight so maybe need a centerfold to catch all my awesomeness.
Maybe we can send some complimentary calendars to the FDA. Just make sure the calendars are printed with no August 8th!

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
So... is it time for me to suggest the "Pipe Smoking Bearded Men 2016 Calendar" again?
Good idea! I'm in.
But be it known that I was once on the cover of a magazine, partly because of my beard. :D
Morgpuc.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Provocative threads relieve boredom and add to thread count is all. Well, they also bring out the best and the worst in some members. Well, that eases boredom as well. So, maybe, they just liven up and sometimes enrage. I like how they bring out the weaknesses in some of the members. So, thread count, boredom and revealing.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
As a college radical I have grown into a 77 year old pipe smoking flaming liberal. I hate guns don't are about hunting and refuse to believe you all think it is

A liberal plot by fda. I hate and fear fascists bigots and people who can't tolerate differences. Let's argue. Shel

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
^^^ Ironic to an extreme that you can't tolerate people you hate and fear. That is the great irony of liberalism. The hypocrisy is part of the liberal credo. That and a hatred of tobacco.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Remember the nazis hated tobacco and it's okay to hate people who want to kill you. No hypocrisy. Shel

Status
Not open for further replies.