PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
The more tins I put in the cupboard, the more I start to a worry about being burgled or a house fire and losing the lot. What are you other guys to doing to protect your investment? I mean you wouldn’t want to go to all that trouble to avoid the tobacco apocalypse only to lose it. That would be heartbreaking.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I wouldn’t be too worried about a burglar stealing it, as I don’t think most people would even understand what it is. At least if it’s still in the tin. Honestly if you are that worried about it you could get a gun safe, additionally they make fireproof document containers. But they are far smaller.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't see tobacco as an investment any more than I would toilet paper. Just a commodity put aside for future use. All of my pipes, tobacco, and maintenance supplies are in a closet.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I agree, but I don’t think he meant it in the sense of a financial investment as much as he meant it as protecting the investment he has made in his future happiness :puffy:

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I put some of my long term storage into our storage unit. It’s climate controlled and dark.

It’s not the best option, but for my small living arrangements allows me to keep a modest stash for many years.
I also have stared cellars at my buddies’ house and my in laws. This guarantees me delicious tobacco whenever I visit and allows for a contingency plan.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Fireproof safes aren't what people think they are. They are all "time" rated. The issue in a modern city is the steam created by fire suppression. Fireproof safes aren't steamproof. The steam will destroy anything and everything it can.
If you live in a rural area..... save your money.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, but you dont buy aged toilet paper for $30 or $75 a roll
And I think that side of tobacco is ridiculous. I haven't bought anything to age or overcharge anyone for, I just bought it up to have when I could no longer afford it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Honestly there is part of me the craves a house fire (not really, but in fantasy). I have so much old crap taking up space that is too good to throw away, but also never gets used. #firstworldproblems.
If it does burn, I'll be downwind I'll tell you that much. The whole neighborhood will smell like latakia.
Yeah, but you dont buy aged toilet paper for $30 or $75 a roll
Have you never tried 2003 Charmin Christmas Edition? It's an amazing experience. Incredibly soft texture with a roll note like you wouldn't believe. Super smooth half way through, and a great clean finish. My only knock against it is the room note is horrifying. Unfortunately it was getting too hard for them to source the wood pulp they needed for the blend. They decided to retire instead and destroyed the equipment they used to produce it. I cellared about 20 rolls and have been working my way through them slowly. I only use them for special occasion dumps, holiday meals, international ass-wiping day,etc. and I only use it in an artisan bowl, preferably porcelain. I wouldn't pay the prices you see on ebay these days though. It's a great wipe, but there are plenty of options out there that are almost as good that can be had at costco prices.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
We are very likely to relocate to a warmer climate within the next 2 years for retirement. I don't want the hassle of moving a fireproof safe. Once we are in what I expect will be our final home, I will invest in a larger fireproof safe for my tobacco, pipes and guns/munitions. I realize it is more like fire protection or fire/heat resistant, but it may be enough to make a difference. It would also offer protection against falling support beams, drywall, etc.. I will also put some of my cellar into environmentally controlled storage.
Even if the insurance covered it, and I doubt they'll cover 350 pounds of pipe tobacco and 80 pipes, you can't buy time and 1 offs. The money can't buy 10 year old SG FVF. Or a duplicate of a Rad Davis pipe. The other added advantage would be to protect against theft or vandalism.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Multiple cellars to eliminate the chance of fire. I have half at home and half at the office.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
You can get it insured at collectinsure.com. Having known someone who lost a significant cellar due to a house fire, I looked into it. Affordable is a relative term, so I can't say if it's affordable or not. You do have to have proof that you have purchased the tobacco.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I don't have a fireproof safe.
However, I have what seems to be an old coal room in my basement. It's basically just a brick room with a cast iron square door to the outside where I assume the coal was shoveled in. No sign of coal/dust now. So, that's where I have my tins etc. spread out on a wooden platform that a previous owner built into the room.
If my house goes up in flames, there's no telling what will happen to the tobacco. But, at least it's in a cool, dry location that isn't easily accessible or visible.

pinchoftobacco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2018
My collection is stored in a climate controlled closet where I keep an eye on humidity. Aside from keeping all my tins upright there isn’t much rhyme or reason to my cellar. I don’t really get concerned about loosing my cellar, as long as my family is safe the rest of my possessions can be replaced ...but I may grab a few Mcclelland tins on the way out the door :)

If my house burns down, even if I lose all 400 lbs of tobacco, I think that losing my tobaccos would be further down my list of worries. As far as someone breaking in to steal my pipes and tobaccos, I really don't think many thieves know much about them to worry with them. Before I started smoking a pipe, I would have thought a nasty used pipe to be worthless... and my thoughts haven't changed very much since then. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.