PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
So time after time, new members join and inevitably launch on a path of tobacco experimentation. It seems like there's some tried-and-true blends everyone should try as they first explore the universe of tobacco. Here's my list of 20, not because they're my best 20 (far from it) but because they explore the reaches of tobacco:
1) Lane BCA (Black Cavendish Aromatic)

2) Lane 1Q

3) Suttliffe Molto Dolce

4) Orlik Golden Sliced

5) Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

6) Petersen Perfect Plug

7) Solani Silver

8 Esoterica Stonehaven

9) GL Pease Haddo's Delight

10) Escudo Navy Deluxe

11) Rattray's Old Gowrie

12) Dunhill Flake

13) Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

14) McClelland 5100

15) McClelland Blackwoods Flake

16) Frog Morton Cellar

17) Dunhill Nightcap

18) Samuel Gawith Squardron Leader

19) Balken Sobranie

20) Semois
Not all the best. But I think I covered a pretty wide spectrum. Someone could surely learn a lot about what they like by getting through this list. But more importantly - what would you delete from the list, and what would you add in it's place?

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Very cool idea! Maybe I'm just cheap, but I'd personally like to see some more bulk blends on the list. This newbie likes to get a little extra bang for his buck, and it seems like there are many highly palatable bulk blends to be had.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Might make sense to go with bulk blends to find the simplest/most generic example of each tobacco type, e.g. English, Balkan, Va/Per, Va/Bur/Per, Va/Ky, etc.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I will disagree with using bulk blends to sample representative genres of tobacco. In my experience, bulks can vary widely from batch to batch due to moisture, segregation of components in the blend, and freshness. I bought Nitecap in bulk three times, and it tasted different three times. But the tins I've bought were all the same. My two pennies dropped in the box...

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Funny how the internet has changed what we smoke. Prior to the 70's drug store tins or pouches, like Prince Albert or Half and Half, would have been on that list. By the 80's bulk Lane products dominated what I smoked. Today we have the availability of nearly any tobacco from any place on the earth and we can get them with in days.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you're aiming at helping a newbie understand, twenty is too many. Maybe eight or ten; otherwise it can be overwhelming.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Prior to the 70's drug store tins or pouches, like Prince Albert or Half and Half, would have been on that list.
I think Prince Albert should be on the list anyways.
Also if bulk tobaccos are going to be on the list, Newminster Superior Navy Flake might be a good candidate for a straight Virginia.

Sep 18, 2015
^^^ This, I don't see the point of putting something on the list that can't be readily found. Been looking for two years and still haven't gotten close.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Why stonehaven on a newbie list??

I agree, I don't think Stonehaven is a good newbie tobacco plus it's very, very hard to get. I would also throw in an OTC in place of Molto Dolce, something more classic like, Carter Hall, Prince Albert or Captain Black. But, this is all just fun and games as I don't think anyone would strictly follow such a list but it is a great tool for the novice to get ideas from.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think Prince Albert should be on the list anyways.
It's a reference point that probably all pipers "should" have.
And while I love Royal Yacht, it does not belong on the list...

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Here was my logic on the original list:
3 Aromatics (BCA, 1Q, Molto Dolce)

4 Va/Burs (Orlik DSK,PPP, Solani Silver, Stonehaven)

3 VaPers (Haddo's, Escudo, Old Gowrie)

5 Virginias (Dunhill Flake, FVF, 5100, Blackwoods Flake, OGS) (although people still argue whether OGS has Perique or not)

3 English (FM Cellar, Nightcap, Squardron Leader)

1 Oriental (Balkan Sobranie)

1 Unique (Semois)
I would agree that Stonehaven probably shouldn't make the list. I don't smoke many VaBurs, so don't have a better idea. Although I guess Carter Hall is technically a VaBur. If so, it should definitely go on the list in place of Stonehaven. Also, in the above selection I made sure to include some ribbon cut, some dense flakes, some looser flakes, a coin flake, and a plug.
Anyhow - that's how I got to my initial list. I love the comments and thoughts so far.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is a list that is only ten blends as I think 20 could be very confusing. I have tried to get every category of blends along with some bulk blends that I have had experience with.
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake this is one of my favorites, here is a description from SP, "Dark brown stoved Va flake, partly broken and ready for the pipe. The deep rich flavor does not fade outdoors. Full bodied and smooth, Campaign can be enjoyed both in the field and by armchair generals.".
Dunhill Flake a nice mild flake that has some tasty caramel notes.
Escudo a classic vaper that every new smoker should try.
Frog Morton a great crossover latakia mixture.
MCClellend 5100 Red Cake a great bulk blend that shows how tasty Red Virginia's can taste.
Sutliff Molto Dolce an aromatic that actually has nice flavors all the way to the bottom of the bowl. You can taste Vanilla ih this one.
Cult Blood Red Moon a real aromatic that actually has a cherry flavor that lasts to the bottom and a great tobacco for a new smoker.
Cornell & Diehl: Bayou Night a nice complex blend that is in the Scottish style. The components are Latakia, Perique, Virginias, Turkish, and Burleys. It also comes in bulk.
G. L. Pease: Cumberland a complex Virginia with 25 year old Kentucky.
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky a great Virginia/Kentucky that has a nice molasses flavor to my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.