PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I say "properly" because the pipe had been topped when I received it, just badly. To remove a rim burn, ashtray damage, or similar, someone had scrubbed the top of the bowl across a taped-to-a-table-top sheet of sandpaper to lower it past the damage, then rounded the resulting sharp edges using some sandpaper and (probably) their thumb.
That's an acceptable way to get a hammered-looking mid-grade or inexpensive pipe back in service if functionality is the primary goal, of course, but a bit inelegant when the pipe is a premium one such as a Castello. IMO, anyway. Kind of like using bondo and spray paint on a Porsche fender... some things are just wrong, right? :lol:
Anyway, actually re-sandblasting the rim of a blasted pipe isn't possible even if you have a blasting rig. Not if you want it to match, anyway. (Doing that would require knowing the original media, CFM, pressure, and so forth.) The only practical way to do it is by hand with a rotary tool and an assortment of tips. That way you can fine-tune the texture to match the rest of the pipe exactly.
Matching the stain color can be tricky because the repaired area must match when viewed under ALL the light sources humans use: incandescent, florescent, and sunlight. Otherwise the rim will look right sometimes and not others depending on its surroundings. A full-spectrum work lamp is the easiest solution, but taking the pipe outdoors and checking under sunlight as you zero in on the color will also work (if it looks right under sunlight it will look right under any reasonable artificial source).
3KbFfbD.jpg

WemSIdD.jpg

WyDItia.jpg

HmgR28e.jpg

VRu4QsI.jpg

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
That's an impressive match. Checking your work outside using the sunlight is a great tip for matching stain that some people wouldn't think to do. I use this simple method when I can to check pipes for any issues.
I'd love to see more of your work. Thanks for sharing!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I prefer a good flat cleanable rim on any pipe, other than a plateau of course. I even smoothed the rim of a no name plateau pipe once, and really liked the look.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
What bits did you use to achieve that look?
About half a dozen, I suppose. (I have a carousel full of the things)
http://www.ottofrei.com/High-Speed-Steel-Burs/
The general rule is start with the larger ones, and progressively work your way through ever-smaller ones.
Also, find another blasted pipe in your rack with similar grain orientation to the "patient" to use as a guide. The way end grain looks when blasted is vastly different than side grain, for example, and putting end grain texture on the rim of a crosscut bowl would look downright weird no matter how skillfully & convincingly it was done. You must maintain internal consistency (for lack of a better term).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
George, thanks for sharing your pictures and work. I've always wondered how to make a bowl top repair on a blasted pipe. I assumed it did require blasting. That is a perfect match. I'll have to work out some techniques on a non-Castello pipe!
How many different stain colors to you normally use/keep on hand?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
How many different stain colors to you normally use/keep on hand?
I wasn't sure, so had to go count them. 27 total.
Color matching that's undetectable is probably the single most difficult task for repairmen. It's combinatorial and the number of variables is high. Experience and practice is the only way to learn it. (Recipe-based techniques will only get you to the right neighborhood, not an exact address.) It's more like playing jazz than arranged music.
Oddly, there also might be a genetic component to doing it well. I discovered 20 years ago after having my vision checked by an eye surgeon prior to a procedure that I had statistically freakish color acuity. One in thousands, apparently. (I was surprised to learn that 99.9+ percent of humans are born color blind to some degree, and I was one of the handful with no measurable anomalies.)

May 31, 2012
Color matching that's undetectable is probably the single most difficult task for repairmen. It's combinatorial and the number of variables is high. Experience and practice is the only way to learn it. (Recipe-based techniques will only get you to the right neighborhood, not an exact address.) It's more like playing jazz than arranged music.
Oddly, there also might be a genetic component to doing it well. I discovered 20 years ago after having my vision checked by an eye surgeon prior to a procedure that I had statistically freakish color acuity. One in thousands, apparently. (I was surprised to learn that 99.9+ percent of humans are born color blind to some degree, and I was one of the handful with no measurable anomalies.)
Awesome!

Such keen color acuity is a true gift!
I've been hesitant to buy the estate pipe below because overzealous buffing removed some of the stain,

what would a ballpark figure be for re-staining and color matching the rim?

:)
Efg0YjS.png

txuKz4u.png

This is the pipe when first made:

http://www.gianmariagamboni.com/gmg_pipes_zoom.pl?pipe_id=50&year=2012
You can pm me a quote if you wish,

thanks.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It's impossible to tell from that photo how much of the rim discoloration is wood blackening from heat, and how much is lava/carbon/etc. The final result---as in, how close it can be brought back to "new"---depends on that.
It's weird how the front of the bowl above the rings seems to have had the darker areas worn off from buffing, because usually the dark parts are the last to go.
Overall, it's definitely a strangely finished piece. You best bet would be to strip it, re-texture the rim to the "80/20" point (meaning the least amount of material removed that lightens the scorch-y areas noticeably), and re-finish the entire pipe. Spot matching an obscure solo maker's original result when you haven't a clue how it was done or what was used is too much shooting in the dark. (The big names you learn over time, the solo/obscure artisan guys---especially the Europeans---often develop proprietary techniques that are quite unusual, and don't pay to reverse engineer because you're unlikely to ever see their stuff again.)

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
Thanks so much for posting about your experience and results. The idea had never crossed my mind to use rotary tool bits to refinish the texture. I'm sure it takes practice but your results show just how good it can get.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
George, would you mind taking a few photos of the bits you used? I have a Rotary tool, but until know, I haven't used it much. I didn't realize there was such a massive array of bits available!

May 31, 2012
It's impossible to tell from that photo how much of the rim discoloration is wood blackening from heat, and how much is lava/carbon/etc. The final result---as in, how close it can be brought back to "new"---depends on that.
It's weird how the front of the bowl above the rings seems to have had the darker areas worn off from buffing, because usually the dark parts are the last to go.
Overall, it's definitely a strangely finished piece. You best bet would be to strip it, re-texture the rim to the "80/20" point (meaning the least amount of material removed that lightens the scorch-y areas noticeably), and re-finish the entire pipe. Spot matching an obscure solo maker's original result when you haven't a clue how it was done or what was used is too much shooting in the dark. (The big names you learn over time, the solo/obscure artisan guys---especially the Europeans---often develop proprietary techniques that are quite unusual, and don't pay to reverse engineer because you're unlikely to ever see their stuff again.)
Thanks for the response George,

it makes sense.
I hearya about replicating proprietary staining techniques, I imagine it could be very labor intensive and time consuming, not to mention frustrating.
Out of blind idealism and unbridled enthusiasm I recently contacted the maker and it turns out he's a really cool guy and his English is excellent, so I might ask him if he'd be willing to restain it.
I would however love to get a rather challenging restoration in your hands, an old tatty Orlik that needs more than a miracle...
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/this-1919-weingott-pipe-fetched-a-pretty-pence-worth
...I'll pm you about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.