PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

moldyoldy

Lurker
May 10, 2016
Long Island
Just out of curiosity, how is it pronounced...La-tack-ee-ah or Lata-kee-ya ? Not that I'm about to run out & buy some, I'm diggin' Carter Hall and Velvet right now......only ones I can keep burning fairly easily..... :puffpipe:

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
I think locally it's pronounced La-TAH-kia, but most everywhere else uses Latta-KI-a. After all, it's SEER-ia, not Ser-EE-a...

/shrug

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
La-TAHK-ee-a
The second syllable isn't quite as sharp as TACK nor as soft as TALK.
This is how it is pronounced on the coast by local Levantine Arabic speakers.
The earliest spoken reference that I've heard is from a Rathbone film in which the shopkeeper (also prominently displaying Petersons) refers to a cigarette blend as containing La-Ta-Key-ah which seems closer to what we hear today. I think most pipe shops will look at you sideways if you pronounce it any way other than ladda-key-ah.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
The earliest spoken reference that I've heard is from a Rathbone film in which the shopkeeper (also prominently displaying Petersons) refers to a cigarette blend as containing La-Ta-Key-ah which seems closer to what we hear today. I think most pipe shops will look at you sideways if you pronounce it any way other than ladda-key-ah.
BINGO!
I think most pipe smokers pronounce it "ladda-key-ah" because it makes them feel special.

May 31, 2012
La-TAHK-ee-a
The second syllable isn't quite as sharp as TACK nor as soft as TALK.
This is how it is pronounced on the coast by local Levantine Arabic speakers.
Good post,

thanks!

:puffy:
I go with ladda-key-ah as you say, just seems to roll smoothly off the tongue for me.
Interesting note about the local pronunciation, that should be the definitive way to say it.
I noticed a few variations on youtube from miscellaneous reporters when searching "latakia syria"...
...and I found this beautiful video too,

complete with hung and curing tobacco at around 6:38,

so the stuff is still grown there, but probably only in small quantities enough for local consumption...
:puffy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3yYC8taQ1A

Apr 10, 2016
Mississippi
Well, according to Wikipedia:
"Latakia; Lattakia or Latakiyah (Arabic: اللَاذِقِيَّة‎ al-Lādhiqīyah Syrian pronunciation: [el.laːdˈʔɪjje, -laːðˈqɪjja])"
So if you want to use the local pronunciation, la-ta-KI-ah

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Well, according to Wikipedia:
"Latakia; Lattakia or Latakiyah (Arabic: اللَاذِقِيَّة‎ al-Lādhiqīyah Syrian pronunciation: [el.laːdˈʔɪjje, -laːðˈqɪjja])"
So if you want to use the local pronunciation, la-ta-KI-ah
Yes, you can see how difficult it can be to make the correct pronunciation even when reading a guide. Around 4:22 you'll hear it pronounced by an Syrian living in Latakia.

http://www.npr.org/2013/05/06/181678179/two-syrian-women-two-very-different-perspectives-on-war

Status
Not open for further replies.