PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
First off, allow me to applaud the friendly and informative members of this wonderful forum. I'm relatively new to pipe smoking and have often found myself redirected to your site from a quick Google search about any number of questions a noob like me has to the world of pipe smoking. I always find the responses fair, honest and upfront. Thank you.
As I am beginning to build a modest collection of pipes, I am faced with the challenge of pipe storage. Due to young children in my house, I would rather not use a traditional pipe rack to allow them to rest between smokes.
I have seen nice wooden pipe boxes that seem to serve the purpose of holding tobacco and accessories but is this a good idea for pipe storage too? I understand the need for air circulation when drying/resting pipes, but I'd prefer to keep them under wraps from young, sticky fingers.
Thanks.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I found this little 'cabinet' while searching for storage ideas. Sorry, I can't give credit because I have no idea where it came from. Google search. I like the fact that the pipes are behind glass and can be enjoyed while NOT collecting dust or kids messing with them.
35576223381_c58335557f_z_d.jpg

35538189052_e08b7732fc_o_d.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Drawers work fine; there's enough air for the pipe to do its minimal breathing. And lack of light keeps oxidation down.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
If you're reasonably competent with using woodworking tools then you could build something along the lines of Nevadablue's image.
When I started out I made myself a twelve pipe rack thinking that would suffice. Big mistake! I'm now in the process of making plans for a 36 pipe rack.
Welcome to the forum by the way :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Great, thanks for the tips. Sadly, I lost my woodworking space years ago, so building something myself is not an option at this point.

bprivateaerdric

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2017
Lexington, KY
I have been buying used cigar boxes with latches from the tobacco store and I plan to whittle small vent holes in the seam of the lid. Right now I use them with a bed of dry rice and roasted coffee beans. My main goal is to prevent odors in the house, so I tuck them in when I come in from the porch.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I store all of my pipes in cases with holders for multiple pipes, typically 17 - 21 pipes per case. I wouldn't ever display my pipes in a rack that gets hit by light. That is very destructive to vulcanite. If your pipes are inexpensive and you don't care about condition, a rack is fine, great for the ego, bad for the pipes. I simply won't do that to the pieces I've collected.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Sable- interesting idea about the cases. My pipes aren't anything too special but I want to keep them around and looking good as long as possible.

How do you deal with the issue of resting/drying them out if they're in sealed cases?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How do you deal with the issue of resting/drying them out if they're in sealed cases?
Myth and dogma. A pipe will dry whether racked or cased. I have padded bathroom mats on my closet shelves. When I get done smoking, my pipes get cleaned, and laid on their sides in the closet. Done this for decades, and have not had an issue with a sour pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a good public service thread. People don't always consider the special needs of living with tykes. You need to keep the pipes out of sight to not tempt and intrigue kids. The pegboard on the back of a closet door that usually stays closed might work. You want some ventilation and ready accessibility, but no visibility, and the pipes need to be out of reach to the degree possible. Kids get good with chairs and step-stools early in life. Upper shelves and small mesh storage baskets could work. The baskets could be utilitarian plain since they'd be out of sight. The storage has to suit you for accessibility. It's an interesting challenge and could be fun to solve. A small four or six pipe rack on a tall piece of furniture might work as a way station so you'd have some pipes at hand, without tempting the kids too much.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A pipe can rest anywhere. I thoroughly clean out my pipe at the end of a day's use, so they're pretty dry by the time I put them away. Sometimes they go in the case the following morning. In any event, no problems so far. Keeping the Vulcanite stems away from light and air is the key to keeping them looking new.
This set is 110 years old. The stems look like new because they don't get exposed to light and air for long periods of time.
hzZwztQ.jpg

This pipe is 135 years old. Keeping it away from light and air when not used keeps it looking new and fresh.
iJpeyRe.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
So Jesse, are you saying they have not been polished or buffed at all in all of those years? I somehow doubt that.
Yes light is indeed bad for vulcanite stems but that sheen doesn't look like it's 135 years old to me :wink:
Regards,
Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So Jesse, are you saying they have not been polished or buffed at all in all of those years? I somehow doubt that.
Yes light is indeed bad for vulcanite stems but that sheen doesn't look like it's 135 years old to me :wink:
The 110 year old set has NEVER been touched. It's unsmoked.
I fairly certain that the 135 year old pipe was cleaned before I bought it. But cleaning doesn't remove signs of use or completely remove oxidation without softening the edges, and this one is as clean and crisp as a new pipe. So that is what a 135 year old piece of Black Amber can look like when it is cared for.
There there's the 145 year old Barling:
4mSbg1c.jpg

nSv84T4.jpg

Every edge, facet, shape is clean and crisp. That Vulcanite is black and glossy. The line from the bowl to the button is completely flush along it's length and all facets of the diamond shaped shank and stem are crisp. There are some nicks and tiny handling marks. So no buffing there either, nor any trace of oxidation, nor any trace of sulfur, nor any trace of anything. It's completely neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.