PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I recently heard on Youtube that a corncob pipe can last years (i.e. +30 year,) if cared for properly. I care for my cobs the same as I do my briars. Is there any special care that corncobs should be given?

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I have some cobs that are 35+ and still smoke sweet.

1. Don't get them wet: Have lost several over the years in rain storms on the lake or in the woods. The plaster of paris can't take it.

2. Refer to number one. Other than that.... smoke the hell of if them.
IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

Yes, you'll get one once in a while that'll burn out...Most likely a defect in the way the cob grew, but just keep smoking till the ash falls out the side in your lap. Most are good pipes and will last. I smoke them like a chimney. I'm always breaking in new cobs for outside doings.....

(I read somewhere that Samuel Clemens 'Mark Twain' used to hire men to break in cobs for him).

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
The big advantage for me is they are 4 bucks apiece here locally for Washingtons, so I have a handful that I rotate through all day for a quick 'having a smoke' as opposed to going out and 'smoking a pipe'(as a member here put it). Another big advantage is that even though I am guilty of mistreating them, and maybe even bordering on abuse, they are beautiful little masochists and stand up to all of it.

Caring for them, I just follow the advice I read from Lawrence and Cortez about screwing a paper towel into the bowl, and a pipe cleaner through the stem, sometimes with alcohol (when they've earned it). When they've sometimes gotten expansion cracks that leak air, a spot of Elmer's, a days rest in the infirmary to dry, and back into rotation.

A couple are almost 3 years old now...35 would be great!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Proper care of corn cobs... hmmm. Just an alcohol swab every once in a while. Less to deal with than a briar pipe.
The advantages to a corn cob pipe to me are:
1. Most of the Corn Cob Pipes are very light, and make clenching the pipe very easy.
2. They breath extremely well so the pipes will never gurgle unless you're trying to smoke water.
3. The draw is so open that it makes sipping the pipe truely effortless. And is a nice change of pace.
4. Some have reported a very light sweet flavor that the cobs add to the blends they smoke. I have not noticed this yet.
5. They are affordable for every budget.
6. They take a beating with grace and style. Battle scars only make them more appealing.
7. If you have to jump into water to rescue a damsel in distress and forget you have a pipe in your mouth you will be ok. Emotional feelings do not cling to corn cobs. Only tobacco oils.
I have more reasons I love cobs... but I'm very forgetful and...
8. Corn Cobs remind us of a simpler time. Pipe smoking in general can do this too, but here in the south a corn cob has the added connotation of a truely simple lifestyle.
The end.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I find that cobs are perfect for aromatics. They seem to absorb the excess wettness and sugars easily. I do not like to smoke aromatics in my briars - this prevents ghosting in the briars.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Leave the stems on if it's getting harder to put them back on.
Most likely the wood is swelling up with moisture.
You don't have to take off the stems everytime.
Only for a deep cleaning if the pipe starts to taste funny.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks guys, you sold me. I am going down to the local shop and grab one. I was there the other day and had one in my hand but I was wary because they are so inexpensive. I figured they would be hot smoking because they are not aged briar.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
In my opinion you will never get a better pipe for smoking aromatics. :puffpipe:

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
You might want to read my Primer for complete care information and other useful tips.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Problem with "going out to the shop and getting one" is most shops only sell "The Legend" which is a very small cob. Your better off going to Aristocob.com to purchase your cob, the Country Gentleman and the Diplomat are normal sized pipes, in briar sizing (medium). They make large ones as well, their Freehand and General are the same size; the two largest you would want to get, the only larger one, the Mac Arthur requires one of those extra long grill style lighters to light it with. Missouri Meerschaum also sells them directly.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
You might want to read my Primer for complete care information and other useful tips.
+1 This will tell you most all you need to know to get started int he right direction.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
have a diplomat i have been puffing on for 3 years now.... smoke it 90% of the time and have smoked it nonstop on several days with no problems.

steve

Lurker
Jun 15, 2012
Thank you tiltjlp for posting that primer. Really interesting and very comprehensive! Thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.