Project Log: One Man's Collection Clean-up (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi there folks.
As with previous project logs, I'll update this one over time with pictures and summary of the work completed as I work through these pipes. For those of you who didn't catch my story of bringing these pipes home, you can catch up here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/trolling-kijiji-amp-craigslist-can-bear-fruit-pic
Sadly, after reaming and closer investigation of the pipes on receipt, two of them had badly cracked bowls.
Broken Bowl Brigham Canadian

Broken Bowl 1/4 Bent dublin

The remaining briar pipes and falcon all seem to be in very good condition, with only the large (Group 5ish)Statesman lovat having worrisome tooth marks (I think there are going to be holes under the oxidation and tooth gunk). Here they are pre-cleaning.
Dr. Plumb Rusticated Nosewarmer - The smalles pipe I've had on the bench. The stinger is going to be fun to clean.

Brigham Sportsman 1/4 Bent Dublin - A monster pipe. Big thick walls and rim, heavy bowl.

Danish Quality (Stanwell) 1/4 Bent Dublin - I am not liking the look of the rim on this pipe. I'm hoping that all that char is just cake. Cross your fingers for me.

Brigham Sportsman Full Bent Pot - The perfect hanger. There is a lot of mass in this sportsman. Thick walls, heavy bell bottom on the pot. Good colour too.

Hardcastle Drawel Billiard - Just a lovely, long billiard. This pipe may end up in my Virginia rotation.

Statesman Lovat - Lovely grain on this pipe. I know nothing about the Statesman brand. This pipe will need to be topped, and I think I'm going to be cutting off and shaping a new bit.

Trypis Oom Paul - This one is also practically a nose warmer... it's tiny, and would make an awesome pocket pipe.

Brigham Sportsman Poker - I'm at loose ends as to the shape of this pipe... I initially wanted to call it a Cherrywood, now I'm thinking poker. What do you think?

More later. I have the stems soaking and ready for clean up. I'll post pics after I've finished the pipes.
-- Pat

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Thanks for the pics Pat. Too bad about the cracked bowls, I've had a few of them that were just held together by the cake. On the plus side, if the stems are still good you never know when an extra stem will come in handy...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
you never know when an extra stem will come in handy...
Words of wisdom, Matt. My "bits" collection is growing steadily.
I am ever hopeful that I'll come across the perfect Brigham stem for this sad, and oh so lonely, Brigham 200 series prince, which was delivered with a mis-matched stem:

-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'd call that Brigham Sportsman a poker
Thanks for that. That's where I'm at as well. The bowl height, and stem placement were what initially threw me for a loop.
The Brigham Sportsman pipes are a fun bunch of pipes. They are, essentially, regular Brigham filter pipes (of all shapes/models/quality tiers)that were pulled from production prior to final sanding, staining and polishing. Brigham did this to create a whole separate line of semi-finished pipes. These pipes were originally sold at the Ontario Sportsman's Show and were designed to offer high quality pipes at reduced prices (due to reduced production costs), and to provide pipes that were ready for rough use. I can only imagine how many of these are kicking around in tackle boxes, boat glove/map compartments, ATV panniers and ammo bags.
Here's a link to Brigham's write up on this venerable design line: http://www.brighampipes.com/Sportsman%20semi%20finished%20series.htm
-- Pat

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
You've got your work cut out for you, but they should clean up nice! As for the Sportsman, I'd say Poker for sure. It's a shame about the two cracked bowls, that Canadian would have been very nice cleaned up! Good luck, I'm looking forward to the "after" pics!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thats something you don't see often. Oom Pauls are usually rather large.
Agreed Uber. The pipe is small enough that the whole thing, stem included, fits in the palm of my hand. The rustication style is also one that I have only seen on one other Trypis pipe.
You've got your work cut out for you, but they should clean up nice!
Thanks Petes03. They are. I finished the stem work, have done an initial retort and S&A treatment on the bowls, I'm doing a second alcohol treatment now (with cotton balls this time). I hope to have something to show you guys later tonight when I get home, or tomorrow.
Hey, while I'll scan Reborn Pipes later, if anyone has any suggestions on how to shape a new button on a vulcanite stem would you kindly PM me, or share your thoughts here?
Thanks,
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for your comments gang. I'm really enjoying this kind of work.
I'm feeling like I need to solve for cleaning stem oxidation closer to where the stem meets shank. I am a little gun-shy after over doing it on a stem and taking it out of round, such that it no longer mates flush with the shank. Even still, I'm not a fan of a slightly greenish shadow-ring where stem meets shank.
Any tips would be welcome.
-- Pat

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Your question regarding the stem/shank junction is a good one. I work with the stem in the pipe, carefully masking the shank with blue painter's tape, then separate the stem a wee bit from the shank for sanding and polishing.
Dave

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Pat, those look FANTASTIC. Was just on here because one estate I bought is ghosted and am looking for some help there. I think I will do the kosher salt and alcohol trick.
What do you have in mind for that poker??? :wink:
Cheers mate,
Dan :puffy:

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Beautiful job, Pat! When do you sleep? :lol:
For the Brigham Prince with the mis-matched stem, have you thought about having a new stem made for it? I have a Prince at Walker's waiting for it's turn to get a stem replacement. Great folks to do business with.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Your question regarding the stem/shank junction is a good one. I work with the stem in the pipe, carefully masking the shank with blue painter's tape, then separate the stem a wee bit from the shank for sanding and polishing.
Thanks Dave. I may give that a shot on some of the pipes I have en-route.
Was just on here because one estate I bought is ghosted and am looking for some help there. I think I will do the kosher salt and alcohol trick.
Dan, you'll be happy with the S&A routine. I was pleased with the cotton ball and alcohol treatment too. As to the poker... I'm debating. It just looks so good with the other two Sportsman pipes in a group. The 3 dot hanging pot is, to my eye, the cherry pipe in that group though.
For the Brigham Prince with the mis-matched stem, have you thought about having a new stem made for it? I have a Prince at Walker's waiting for it's turn to get a stem replacement
Thanks plateauguy! I have had Mike make stems for me in the past. I actually have a handful of BC pipes that came in with less than stellar bits, and stems designed for a 9mm filter. I think I'll send them out to have new stems (sans filter) made and send the Prince along with them. It'd be my first Brigham w/o the filter system. But it's too lovely not to be in rotation.
Thanks to all for the kind words.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.