Problem With Stem Blockage on High Grade Nording?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I bought a used Nording High Grade pipe from a friend some months ago for a very good price (long story, but I kind of got shafted on another pipe he was going to sell me when the guy who was repairing it decided to take it and run). Anyway, when I can get it to draw the way it's supposed to, it's a fantastic smoke, but once I load it, before I draw, the draw is absolutely horrible and requires a lot of stem removal, poking and prodding before I can get it to draw right. I held the stem up to the light the other day, and best I can tell, what happened is that the first few times I cleaned the pipe, some of the fluffy bits on the pipe cleaners got stuck to the inside of the stem and that is what's causing my draw issue. The only thing I have found to help is unrolling a paper clip and jamming it through the stem to push the fluffy bits out of the way, but they're still stuck in there. I had thought about taking a can of compressed air and seeing if that would dislodge the obstruction. Anyone know if this will hurt the stem? And if it will, anyone got any other ideas as to how I can get the blockage out?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Are you sure it's a stem issue? Compressed air will not damage the stem. You could also get some stem brushes which should take care of any blockage. I do wonder if the issue is with the air hole in the bowl. If you're packing this pipe too tightly the hole in the bowl could get clogged. I've been using the twist method for packing for the past few years and that has helped keep things clear with great success.

Good luck and I hope you find a solution.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Test the draw before you load the bowl. If it's open, you have a packing problem or the draft hole could be below the bottom of the tobacco chamber which can cause the draft to plug. If it doesn't draw when empty, ditto on the other suggestions given. If it's a stem issue, the draft hole might be a little restricted to begin with- I'd send it out to have the draft opened...

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I had a similar problem with a Stanwell. The stem looked clear but I always felt the obstruction when smoking. I finally took a long thin drill bit and slowly drilled in (I placed tape on the bit to indicate when I've gone in deep enough.
It opened the airway a tiny bit (which was fine) and fixed the problem.
I recently did that to several of my stems that were a little on the narrow side and they all smoke better. Just be careful - feed the bit in from the tenon end and keep it very straight.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Next time you get it good and clean, draw hard on the empty pipe. Note the pitch of the sound you make, I found long ago, that if a pipe whistles too high when I do this, that the airflow is restricted and either needs to be opened up or I walk away from the pipe. The better the draw, the lower the sound you will get on an empty draw. Also, if you have a Senior Reamer, the drill bit in the handle, will give you a way to clean out any blockage, in a straight pipe.

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks to all for the suggestions. The bowl draw is the same empty as it is full so I'm assuming that it is a stem issue. I should just bite the bullet and send it off to the repair guy and have him open it up. I can live a week or two without it seeing as how it rarely gets used anyway. I would really hate to think that the draft needs to be opened because I had been led to believe that this was a really high grade pipe. Looks beautiful and maybe it was worth a lot of money at one point in time, or maybe it was one of Nordings lower grade offerings. In any case, I only paid $40 for it and I really love the shape, so it might be worth the extra $20 or whatever it would take to get it opened. Thanks for all that contributed, much appreciated.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
High grade European pipes typically come with a tighter draw than is common in the US....Send it out...best $20 you'll spend....

Status
Not open for further replies.