PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I picked up my first pouch of Prince Albert today and am on the first bowl. Comparing it to Carter Hall, the pouch smell of CH is sweeter and chemical scented, where the PA smells cleaner, although there is a hint of a sweet sent in PA that I like but can't place. Any ideas of what it might be? It's very pleasing and takes me back to my childhood. I think this was Dad's brand, so that might be part of it, but I'm reminded of childhood candy, somehow. Is it licorice? Anise?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think all we can do is guess. These old codger brands are guarded secrets, like the recipe for Coca Cola. The processes and flavorings are probably fairly basic, but the secrecy is part of their mystique. Like Granger's Wellman's Process. What's that? Many posts ago, some of us were joking that it is probably leaving the door on the tobacco barn open an eighth of an inch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard P&C matched some of the grand old blends in the Hearth and Home tub tobaccos but left out some of the preservatives and flavoring that don't please current tastes, which was a stroke of brilliance. I suspect many pipe smokers will prefer the matching blends to the originals. Chestnut has four or five different tobaccos and a Forums member said it is well worth trying.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Apparently I like Burley, because this Prince Albert is fine. I've smoked quite a lot of it since that first bowl. Comparison smoking this with Carter Hall, it seems to me that CH has bit more tang to it. I'll have to look at the tinned Burleys recommend in the other threads.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I find PA to have more of the cocoa overtones and CH to be more nutty.
My preference is CH and I always have some on hand.
However, since discovering C&D's Big N' Burley, the CH hasn't gotten much play. :wink:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The best info I could find is a hint in a 1913 entry from Gene Borio's Tobacco Timeline, that suggests that P.A. is composed of Piedmont Bright, a flavored and sweetened Burley from Kentucky, and 10% Turkish leaf. There was no mention of what the flavoring is.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
If you're interested in old time burley blends I can recommend Lane Ltd. Ready Rubbed, the reborn Edgeworth. It is the old recipe and is the old cube cut, which I have not seen in many years. It's basic and true to its heritage. I've had 3 bowls so far. It's a change of pace from my usual lat blends.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Carter hall is just not for me but PA is fine. I like it mixed with Cornell & Deilh Sambuca

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I used to enjoy both (burley and I don't get along, lately) but preferred CH over PA because it was more nutty. I would occasionally pick up a bit of a licorice taste in both. Licorice is not uncommon as an ingredient in casing sauces, so it would not surprise me if some of the tobacco in both blends has a bit of licorice in the casing.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
The two of them mixed together have a heavier taste. I'm liking it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
papipeguy, I wonder if the Lane RR is like the Match ERR?

As for CH vs PA...this first year of my smoking a pipe I began with some crappy ohm roll your own 'pipe' tobacco and quickly got hip to real pipe tobacco. The rush was on to taste and experience a variety and get 'up to speed' on this new found treasure trove.

My first OTC codger blend was SWR and it took me awhile to become its fan.

I tried PA next...and again...it took awhile...

The same happened with CH...but, I was realizing that, for me, these new blends required my brain and taste buds to become receptive of their individual nuances.

One of the hardest to 'get' was Half and Half. It seems to be one of the more 'cased' codgers with a very strong tin note and it was hard for me to smoke at first w/o tongue burn.

Each of these blends must have a slightly different PH level in addition to their other contrasts, which include cut, ratio, casing, topping, flavor, and appearance. That PH seems to affect the taste buds and require learning.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@newbroom

If you are liking the OTCs, give Middleton's Cherry a try. The Mid Town series by Hearth and Home are also very good.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The ONE thing I have avoided "like the plague" since I took up the pipe a year ago, is Cherry blends, Vanilla blends, or what are considered to be heavily 'sauced' aromatics.

I will say that the Middleton brands of OTC are excellent and consistent. I mean, CH and Pa?

I haven't even tried the SWR aro...just the regular...

BTW..one of the best (and it's on sale big time this month @ P&C) of this genre that I've tried is Mid Town Chestnut. THIS is what they mean when they say: "this could be an all day smoke".

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Middleton Cherry has barely enough cherry ro make it sweet. Very unlike the "cherry bomb" blends that leave your pipe tainted, and a chemical taste in your mouth. Just a mild sweet smoke. I agree with Chestnut, very nice. Also enjoy Sweet Cask and Chathom Manor. A very excellent CH clone.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've got Chatham and Prince Andrew. Neither really tastes much like their model. They're good quality pipe tobaccos, and burley based blends. I find myself using them more as 'mixers' lately.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Just pulled the trigger on a tub of SWR. Thanks for the tip! Also grabbed a another tub of Chestnut.

Status
Not open for further replies.