PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
So I'm smoking my first bowl of PA right now in a new, unsmoked MM cob. I have to say I didn't think I'd like it.

But after smoking Angler's Dream from Russ Oullette's sampler packs, I figured I should give some other stuff in its genre a try. I liked Angler's Dream a lot, which I found funny because I pretty much only smoke Latakia and Oriental blends and don't care too much for aromatics or straight VA's, and never got along with Burley or perique at all; I found they always made the back of my throat really scratchy.
But here I am, smoking away on some PA and... my goodness, it is sublime!

On tobacco reviews.com it doesn't say what leaf is in PA though. So I'm curious if my tastes are broadening or if there is something I don't know about these blends which are different than others. I know PA can stand on its own well enough, simply proved by its more than a century long popularity but I can't seem to find much info on the blend construction itself.
So let's hear anything and everything that is known about the legendary PA! Fact or fiction, what are some things you folks have heard?

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
mhh so it is good... my local pharmacy has it and i was debating on picking some up. now i know i should get some.i dont know anything about it though.sorry.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Crimp cut Burley I believe. Yes I would have to agree, it is awesome stuff!

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
marc, I can understand how it can still be scratchy towards the bowl's end if you are not careful. But I'm still surprised by how much I like it!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Love the stuff!Bought pouch after pouch for years,as of now...tub after tub!Local cheap smoke shop,$26 bucks includin tax....

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
That was a great review Cortezattic! And honestly just what I would expect from you... I don't know how you do it, but you seem to be a great researcher! :clap:

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I concur. If one chose only to smoke nothing but Prince Albert, it would not be wasted time. Good stuff for a supposedly "cheap" drug store blend.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm having breakfast at "Brody's Cigar Shop" in Geneva NY this morning. They have all the OTC brands and Grabow/Falcon pipes. I'll grab a pouch, I've never tried PA but like a burley blend.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
IMHO Prince Albert and Carter Hall are the best OTC Burley blends out there. Yesterday while stacking wood and hauling it inside for the winter I was puffing on a 50/50 blend of both. I really enjoy this blend a lot even though it's considered an inexpensive generic type of baccy. But for my total enjoyment with Burley I reach for L J Peretti or Uhle's Burleys. They don't get any better than those two makers.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The Prince is hard to beat! My no. 2 go to smoke after CH. Mixes well with about anything also.I like to chop up some Mac Baren Golden Extra to mix with it.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
If only I had a taste for burley. Last year I bought tubs of all the drugstore blends hoping to find a cheap all day smoke, what I got instead was tubs of useless tobacco that I ended up tossing in the trash.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
I used to be right there with you, marmal4de. But burley is catching up on me a tad bit now. I'm really starting to like it. Don't get me wrong though... Latakia will always be my first love.

Status
Not open for further replies.