PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I saw this Prince Albert Sample Tin at a Antique/Flea Market dealer about 15 miles down the road from me. I've seen a couple on eBay and another site, however I know next to nothing about them. Could anyone point me to a page with more history on them?
82c12c9d77fe4570480ca4cd88ed6173_zps40ebea19.jpg

94d7b63d5cfee5286eb9a26584c32849_zps322d839f.jpg

c825a45ff3e43c38cab3a40a8a875ce2_zps5bb7bcb5.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I do not know much about them, but I have seen a few. If you want it for your own collection, $40 may not be a bad price. If you want to resell it, though, I am not sure that price will leave you much, if any, room for profit.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Not interested in reselling, I told the store owner I would try to find more information for him. He said he just marked it that prince from what he saw on eBay. I kinda collect tins but only if I find them at nice low prices, although the more I think of it that would be a nice addition to my growing collection.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
That is the first PA tin that size I've seen. I have one in regular size with the original paper sleeve still full of tobacco and original price sticker of 29 cents. I paid $20 for it about a year ago. I wonder if the sample size tin is priced fairly? Could also depend on your location I suppose. 8)

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I would leave him a phone number and a price you are happy with. Let him do the "thinking".
I never knew they made that size either.
I wish I could find just one of the 100's my grandfather must have had.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I would say 'rare' is a very accurate description of the tin, but doesn't the thing have an oddly objectionable appearance? I like the one I have much more. I wouldn't be surprised to see some one with deeper pockets than mine bid on it eventually.
Anybody care to guess the era of my tin with the 29 cent price sticker. I have no idea. 8)

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
thats a salesman sample tin they are 3'' long by 7/8'' wide, and 1'' high from the 1920's. As for price $40 is a good price you can get probably $80 if you wanted to resell it

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Wow! Sparks he does want a lot for it.
Bulldog, thanks for giving a date and price range. If I had a spare 40 I didn't have a use for (like a new pipe) I would buy it to go with my other tins.
Mcitinner I thought it was odd myself. When looking closely it isn't level on the bottom, looks kinda like someone with some skill made it from a bigger tin. It was the first I heard of a salesman sample. I wonder if there was someone with a briefcase walking door to door selling em back in the day.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
jeep it wasn't like a salesman going door to door it was on the counter and you would pack a little in and smoke in and if you liked it you would buy a tin.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
no Problem Jeep
You are looking at it from a pipe smokers prospective, I look at it and say I could buy it and sell it to a pipe smoker who is collecting tins, or just a person who likes to collect tins and would pay more for it. I have sold 1 like that in a little better shape for $110 to a non piper but just likes to collect old tins.

Was this done as an actual factory sample, or was this just made by a tinkerer? My granddad used to take tin snips and crimpers and doo-dadle around, making short tins like this out of stuff when he was bored or it was too cold for him to set on the porch and whittle. He could actually make a tin look as good as factory made, but I don't remember him ever doing this with PA. My favorites were when he would turn cans into tiny birdhouses.

And, the way the printing looks, makes it look like it was just made by a crafter, instead of an actual PA sample tin.

Did PA actually release samples in tins like this?

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
Cosmic I think it is factory made, but It could be a repo made by some one I would have to see it in person to tell. I have seen maybe 5 or 6 like it same exact size, plus if it was made by a tinker you would still see sadder or weld marks on the inside, wich I did not see on any of the ones I saw

Status
Not open for further replies.