numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Twice the price?!
Peterson Rosslare Royal for $301
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=138996
versus
Peterson Rosslare Royal for $150 U.S.
http://www.jamesfox.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=209_345_358&zenid=5aae2d2e72ae0b5d13037b2a42b64f6f
I know that Rosslare Royal's are Peterson's higher-end Rosslare line (I own one and like it). I also know that European vendors can typically offer better pricing than U.S. vendors, but this is the most extreme variation I've ever seen. SP's price is even $100 over Cup of Joe's.
8O

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
The current pounds-to-dollars rate actually puts 110 pounds at around US$180. So it's not quite twice the price. But I also didn't see any size notations on the James Fox site; unless all of the pipes in this line adhere to certain dimensions, it's possible that the SP offering is actually bigger. It also looks like the SP pipe has a beautiful flame grain; the JF pipes *might* have great grain too, but it's hard to tell from the photos they've posted.
I don't know if Peterson pipes are still actually being made in Dublin. . . but if they are, you're also talking about a pipe being sold in the country -- if not the actual city -- of its manufacture, which has to reduce costs considerably.
But I'm kind of grasping here.
Bob

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
One thing I noticed are price fluctuations based on the exchange rate. For instance, I was looking at the Dublin Castle series and they had some listed at $130 (this was awhile ago) and then a new batch came in and that lot was around $20-30 cheaper. They had both prices listed for awhile and I ended up getting mine from another site. It was a couple months before they all reflected the lower price.
Not trying to justify the kind of difference Six mentions, just food for thought. I think the descriptions and pics SPC provides are worth paying a bit more, but not that much.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Hey Six, was jamesfox after the pound to $$ conversion?
I did the conversion using Google, not sure if it's 100% accurate, I figured it should not be too far off.
I think the descriptions and pics SPC provides are worth paying a bit more, but not that much.
I agree. With James Fox (from whom I purchased my RR over a year ago), you don't see the pic of the actual pipe - though they will examine it for you. Smokingpipes is a great reseller in numerous ways but this was a shocker to me.
still actually being made in Dublin. . . but if they are, you're also talking about a pipe being sold in the country -- if not the actual city -- of its manufacture, which has to reduce costs considerably.
I believe they are mainly finished in Dublin. However, I don't think that the place of manufacture affects the prices as much as the import tariffs U.S. vendors have to pay - but I've never seen this much of a difference.

Aug 14, 2012
Thanks for pointing this out, Six. It is a reminder to buy directly from Europe when possible. Import duty is 3 1/2%. Fedex and UPS charge about $30 to do the customs paperwork and advance the tax. So for one expensive pipe or a few less costly, there is a real savings. If you can pay by Paypal, risk is minimal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shopping between retailers -- online, brick and mortar, discount sales, and pipe shows, etc. -- is

revealing. Many retailers match up almost exactly, but with a particular pipe you can find huge

discrepancies. Buying my first Group 1 pipe recently, a Peterson, I found it for $79 at one online

site, and $58 at another. So I put the extra $21 toward the next pipe. Shop 'til you drop, but

don't buy until you're sure the deal is good.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Hey folks, thanks for bringing this to our attention. When I first saw this thread I was pretty confused, so we did some digging, made some calls, looked over some invoices, and came to realize we'd listed these pipes incorrectly. When Sykes was in Ireland he had the chance to pick out a set of really beautiful, premium grained Rosslares, which are the four pipes in question at SPC. They're more expensive than the Rosslare Royal Irish series, but they aren't stamped differently, and so when they came in we mistakenly listed them as equivalent to the former.
But because you guys caught this we made the necessary change to the pipe's title to reflect that it's distinguished from the Rosslare Royal Irish. Thanks for that!
As far as what Cup O' Joes is offering, you'll see that they're offering the Rosslare Classic and the Rosslare Spigot, neither of which are as nice as the Rosslare Royal Irish or the Royal Irish Premium. So that's kind of an apples and oranges thing. And as far as Fox' site? Who knows? It could be really old inventory and they haven't adjusted the price maybe?
Nevertheless, this was a mistaken and so thanks for pointing it out and giving us a chance to correct it!

Dec 24, 2012
They're more expensive than the Rosslare Royal Irish series
Thanks Ted. I am a bit confused because the price of those premiums still appear to be the same as the Rosslare Royal Irish pipes, at $301.75. See, for example:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=134158

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Peck, I believe the Royal Irish is a line of premium pipes and the Rosslare Royal is another (less expensive line).
These pipes are in effect a combination of the two, a higher quality briar in the vein of a Royal Irish done in the Rosslare Royal style.
From my understanding, a Rosslare Royal is at the "bottom" of Peterson's premium line, whereas the Royal Irish is higher up in their premium line. Confusing, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.