PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Is there any way to retard or slow down the burn marking around the rim of a pipe? I use matches for my pipes that are most vulnerable to this.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
+1 on the matches! Matches give the softest flame and are much less likely to damage a pipe. Second would be a Zippo, followed by Bic lighters.

As for prevention, you can wet the rim with some saliva before lighting. As long as your rims are just darkened, and not burnt, it should just come off with a little spit and a rag.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
As explained on the Pipes Magazine Radio Show:

A BIC or DeJeep type lighter burns at a lower temp than a match, paper or wood.

The lighter has a more controllable flame than a match.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Buy a pipe that's been stained black. Problem solved, because you'll never see the charring. :nana:
Seriously, just like others have said; wet the rim with saliva and use a soft flame.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
True rim charring is easily avoided by just keeping the flame centered above the bowl. Keeping the bowl level helps a lot, too. A far more frequently seen problem is tar buildup on the rim. It looks like char but it isn't. Easily cleaned with spit and a rag. Easily avoided by rubbing the rim with your thumb after lighting-- there's usually a shiny-ish spot that almost looks a bit wet or dark at some point on the rim. Just rub that off before it becomes permanent and your rim will stay pretty clean. I've got pipes I've smoked for 15 years that have rims in fine condition. Just keep 'em clean as you go and all will be well.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
+1 billypm. I did the soft flame and wet the rim but kept getting what I thought was charring. Turned out to be more tar and smoke than anything else. And like everything, it is easier to keep it clean as you go instead of waiting a long time to attempt a cleaning.

chrisschneck

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
Don't eat super spicy food the night before.
Oh wait, you mean pipes? Yes, what everyone has has previously advised.

Status
Not open for further replies.