PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
That is such an oversimplification of the American Revolution as to fail to rise to the level of absurdity. The essence of the Revolution is not expressed in a poster of men firing guns. If you need some history book titles that will provide background of this world-changing event, I will be happy to oblige. By the way, did you notice the uniforms on these freedom fighters. They were part and parcel of who they were. These men drilled for eight to ten hours a day for months to learn their craft. They were not a bunch of gunslingers who ran through the streets brandishing their guns. And --check the record, read a book instead of bowing down before a poster--General Washington was ever willing and ready to flog or hang any man who stepped out of line.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
If it had "nothing to do with the picture," then why did you post it? Even more so under the heading "This is what we were..." If it had nothing to do with it, then it shouldn't have been posted. So now I am compelled to inquire--what did it have to with? I ask this because I am now told that the picture had nothing to do with your message.

If you want to remind us to stand up for liberty--that's a great idea. I'm not certain that blazing guns is the way to do it, and I'm glad to hear that you now believe it was a mistake. You see, I've looked at the business end of blazing guns, earned a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart, so I've put my life on the line and stood up for liberty. I just hope that the next time you wish to communicate a patriotic message on this forum, (and please note that political messages are not in order,) you will choose a more effective way than a poster, tell us that this is what we were, etc., and then cap it off by saying it had nothing to do with your message. As we approach the anniversary of American Independence, I think celebratory messages are very much in order. I would ask only that they be consistent with the occasion, and not a reductio ad absurdam which we are then (correctly) told is really nothing. Let us celebrate the Glorious Fourth with all the solemnity and joy which the occasion warrants. We are, after all, Americans.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Exactly, we need to preserve manliness at all costs, this is one of my hero's on manliness

http://www.menarebetterthanwomen.com/all-posts/

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I love my country, Not my government - Jesse Ventura

When the people fear their government, their is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. -Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Thomas Jefferson didn't know the difference between "their" and "there"? Who voted for that guy?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
keep-calm-the-south-will-rise-again-8.png

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I am kind of fond of this one;
Patrick Henry never said, "Give me absolute security of give me death". :wink:

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
A brief synopsis of what happened and who they were. George Washington of Virginia, John and Samuel Adams of Massachusetts, Patrick Henry of Virginia and John Jay of New York along with other delegates met in Philadelphia in September 1774 to give voice to their grievances against the British crown. This First Continental Congress did not go so far as to demand independence from Britain, but it denounced taxation without representation, as well as the maintenance of the British army in the colonies without their consent, and issued a declaration of the rights due every citizen, including life, liberty, property, assembly and trial by jury. The Continental Congress voted to meet again in May 1775 to consider further action, but by that time violence had already broken out. On April 19, local militiamen clashed with British soldiers in Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts, marking the first shots fired in the Revolutionary War.

When the Second Continental Congress convened in Philadelphia, delegates–including new additions Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson–voted to form a Continental Army, with Washington as its commander in chief. On June 17
Militia existed in the colonies long before the American Revolution. With the exception of Pennsylvania, colonies required most able-bodied men to own weapons, to be willing to be called for periodic training, and to defend their communities from attack, primarily by Indians. This was the colonial militia. In 1774 when the continental army was formed many of these men were to become the professional soldiers in what amounted to a reformed militia that would get more extensive training, and be known as minute men, and later the American regular army.

The militia continued to exist and fight throughout the revolution with mixed results. Continental Army officers tended to deride its effectiveness, probably with reason, at least in the early years of the war. But at Saratoga, in the South, and in New Jersey during a 1780 campaign, they were essential fighting forces. By the end of the war, Washington and others in the Continental command were using the militia as support for the regular army.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thank you one and all for this wonderful pre-July 4th warm up and Mod baiting post. Andrew I thought you were into Stalin so what you are you doing posting Neo-Confederate imagery is slightly beyond me as I thought you were a Royal Yuk Stalin groupie. Coincidently your link takes one off to a very 'Male' suggestive, lets watch gladiator movies while naked in the sauna together type of web site! The good Rabbi follows that up with two brilliant posts which demonstrate the total logic which only a Rabbi can expound in a fashion that makes it totally clear to a lay man, lapsed Catholic like myself which is what makes this man posts a forum treasure. Necron99 great post reminds me why when I talk to my chums in the UK or write a letter I always write or talk about 'here in the colonies' since we are celebrating on the 4th of July a successful treason against the Crown of the United Kingdom which if it had gone wrong would have resulted in most of the ring leaders getting their necks stretched! In that spirit I have added this little post of wisdom which I think is wonderfully humorous. I am off sailing so play nicely as Mr. Sablebrush emplored before his holiday!
To the citizens of the United States of America, in light of your failure to elect a competent President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective today.
Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II resumes monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths and other territories. Except Utah, which she does not fancy.
Your new prime minister (The Right Honourable Tony Blair, for the 97.8% of you who have, until now, been unaware there's a world outside your borders) will appoint a Minister for America. Congress and the Senate are disbanded. A questionnaire circulated next year will determine whether any of you noticed.
To aid your transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:
1. Look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Check "aluminium" in the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you pronounce it. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'favour' and 'neighbour'. Likewise you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters. Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. Look up "vocabulary."
Using the same twenty seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Look up "interspersed." There will be no more 'bleeps' in the Jerry Springer show. If you're not old enough to cope with bad language then you should not have chat shows.
2. There is no such thing as "U.S. English." We'll let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take account of the reinstated letter 'u'.
3. You should learn to distinguish English and Australian accents. It really isn't that hard. English accents are not limited to cockney, upper-class twit or Mancunian (Daphne in Frasier). Scottish dramas such as 'Taggart' will no longer be broadcast with subtitles.You must learn that there is no such place as Devonshire in England. The name of the county is "Devon." If you persist in calling it Devonshire, all American States will become "shires" e.g. Texasshire Floridashire, Louisianashire. Furthermore Hollywood will no longer cast all bad guys as English and that privilege will revert back to the Germans.
4. You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen", but only after fully carrying out task 1.
5. You should stop playing American "football." There's only one kind of football. What you call American "football" is not a very good game. The 2.1% of you aware there is a world outside your borders may have noticed no one else plays "American" football. You should instead play proper football. Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls.
Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which is similar to American "football", but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like nancies).
You should stop playing baseball. It's not reasonable to host an event called the 'World Series' for a game which is not played outside of America. Instead of baseball, you will be allowed to play a girls' game called "rounders," which is baseball without fancy team stripe, oversized gloves, collector cards or hotdogs.
6. You will no longer be allowed to own or carry guns, or anything more dangerous in public than a vegetable peeler. Because you are not sensible enough to handle potentially dangerous items, you need a permit to carry a vegetable peeler.
7. July 4th is no longer a public holiday. November 2nd will be a new national holiday. It will be called "Indecisive Day."
8. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and it is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean. All road intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left. At the same time, you will go metric without the benefit of conversion tables. Roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.
9. Learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips. Fries aren't French, they're Belgian though 97.8% of you (including the guy who discovered fries while in Europe) are not aware of a country called Belgium. Potato chips are properly called "crisps." Real chips are thick cut and fried in animal fat. The traditional accompaniment to chips is beer which should be served warm and flat.
10. The cold tasteless stuff you call beer is actually lager. Only proper British Bitter will be referred to as "beer." Substances once known as "American Beer" will henceforth be referred to as "Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine," except for the product of the American Budweiser company which will be called "Weak Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine." This will allow true Budweiser (as manufactured for the last 1000 years in Pilsen, Czech Republic) to be sold without risk of confusion.
11. The UK will harmonise petrol prices (or "Gasoline," as you will be permitted to keep calling it) for those of the former USA, adopting UK petrol prices (roughly $12/US gallon, get used to it).
12. Learn to resolve personal issues without guns, lawyers or therapists. That you need many lawyers and therapists shows you're not adult enough to be independent. If you're not adult enough to sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist, you're not grown up enough to handle a gun.
13. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.
14. Tax collectors from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all revenues due (backdated to 1776).
Thank you for your co-operation.
That should give you something to argue over - I am off sailing!

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Condorlover, please tell us we won't have to adopt UK cuisine and cook & season Brit style.
That would be torture!
All of which reminds me of this old joke; European Heaven, European Hell
European Heaven is when the English are the police, the Germans are the mechanics, the Swiss are the bankers, the Italians the lovers and the French are the cooks.
European Hell is when the English are the cooks, the Germans are the police, the Swiss are the lovers, the Italians are the bankers and the French are the mechanics.
:D

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
The picture has everything to do with it. And every word of that poster true.

Don't back off Braumeister because some bullying.

Yes the revolution is very much expressed by men firing guns. It was a war between two armys which basically means for the average soldier, a bunch of people shooting guns at each other.

Nowhere in that poster is any mention of gun slingers brandishing guns in the streets.

Where colonists tough? Yes colonial life was pretty difficult; compared to now days the 1700s was much more difficult.

yes they were tax evaders, yes they were tobacco growers, yes they made beer, and other alcoholic beverages like rum and whiskey, they also were gun smugglers. Yes the Crown did ban the possession of military type firearms. I cant see any part of that poster that is not true. Starting a war is raising hell.
At no point of the original post was manliness brought up. In fact if you do know anything about the American revolution you would know that. Women played very important rolls, and some of the minutemen were women.
I would also add this little known factoid. The first person killed in the American revolution was a Black business owner by the name of Crispus Attucks.

IslandCobFog

Lurker
Feb 28, 2014
Friday Harbor, WA
Wow this one erupted over night. I posted this because I really liked the commentary below the picture and I though my fellow pipe smokers would too. It is situations like this that make it plan as day as to why this once great country is in the position it is in now. If people don't belive every word stated under that picture than this is truly the end of liberty and everything we stand for.

Status
Not open for further replies.