PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A while back I was reading some reviews on tobaccoreviews.com, and someone had mentioned the issue of “preservatives” of some kind that apparently are used by some tobacco companies. I’m pretty sure this particular review was on McClelland’s Frog Morton.
I’m just wondering if anyone knows if it is very common for preservatives to be used and exactly what chemical(s) are we talking about?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
PC or Propylene Glycol is used a good bit in OTC Tobaccos.

But, I don't know about Frog Morton.

I can usually smell it in certain OTC's.

If I can detect it I won't buy it.

I may not be able to taste it initially but over time, PC will be all I can taste in that blend.

Yuk! :?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I recently received two Altadis samples. Both were lousy with PG and burned heck out of my tongue . As well as having an off taste.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
According to Wikipedia it is a "humectrant food additive". If I understand what I read; it has a sweet flavor and is generally used as a moisture stabilizer to whatever it is used in. And, is used as a "non-toxic antifreeze for winterizing drinking water systems" as well as a tobacco additive and has various other uses.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Propylene Glycol is also used to re-freshen humidificstion devices used in humidors. Do not confuse it with ethylene glycol which is commomly used in anti-freeze.

PG's purpose is to keep things from drying out and I am sure that the stuff used on tobacco is FDA approved as food grade.

I'll defer to the others as to whether is imparts a taste or smell to the blends but it is a common additive to many things you use daily.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
An excerpt from The Pipe Tobacco Aging, Storage and Cellaring FAQ -- a website that became defunct nearly a year ago:

What is propylene glycol? Is it evil?
Mostly a topic found in the late 90s and early 00s, "PG" was heavily discussed in ASP. Some thought it evil, others benign. Eventually, it simply was understood. Here are some of the fruits of the discussion.
PG is propylene glycol. It is a humectant used to preserve moisture content in variety of things, from food stuffs to tobacco. It is considered safe for human consumption by the FDA and its use IS quite prevalent in modern society. In tobacco, specifically, it is added to maintain moisture and retard mold development. When used in very small quantities, it is hardly detectable. However, if used with a heavy hand it just plain tastes bad. It exists and is actually in most of the tobaccos we smoke.

Jeff Folloder, 2000-07-02
Propylene glycol and other humectants are heavily used in drugstore tobaccos and jar blends to keep them from drying out. Some of these tobaccos will not dry out if left loose on a newspaper for a week. Premium blends, however, usually do not have as much PG as drugstore blends, but it's hard to find one that has [absolutely] none. [...] Proplylene glycol can prevent tobacco from drying out and helps retard mold growth. It is, however, a chemical that many of us would rather not have in their tobacco. Discovering that a favorite blend has a small amount of PG in it is not going to keep me from buying it. But knowing that a blend is treated with PG and other chemicals might very well keep me from even trying it.

Bill Burney, 2004-01-03
Propylene glycol, used as a humectant and a preservative to extend the shelf life of tobacco and as a carrier for flavorings added to pipe tobacco, is deleterious in several respects. The abundant hydrogen in the molecule combines with oxygen very readily, inducing higher-temperature combustion and production of greater quantities of water, both of which adversely affect smoking properties. The stuff also is sweetish, but with an off-taste that some find quite disagreeable. Whether the overall effect in this realm is a benefit or a detriment is a matter of taste. My personal opinion is that use as a humectant is both unnecessary and deleterious to the smoking qualities of the tobacco, and it should never be used for this purpose.

James Beard, 2000-07-02
PG can be added by the retailer to the finished bulk product, or by the blender, or the grower, or the processor, or the warehouser, or anywhere in between, and in variable quantities. So yes, PG will be found in nearly every pipe tobacco blend available, and for most of us it ain't necessarily a bad thing.

Fred Latchaw, 2001-12-12
Propyline glycol is not the evil chemical that some believe it to be, but, like anything else, it can be abused, and often is in "cheap" tobaccos. Glycerin, glycerol and alcohol were widely used in the past in flavoring tobaccos. Why so much of the industry switched to PG is a question that can PROBABLY be answered by economics.
In a relatively pure state, PG is viscous, and somewhat slimy to the touch. It binds readily with water, and is often used in humidifying units in cigar humidors to maintain a fairly constant relative humidity of about 70%, considered ideal by many. It has a distinctive sweet taste and substatially lower toxicity than ethylene- and diethylene glycols, but high ingested doses have correlated with hepatic and renal diseases. Don't drink it. If your tobacco is sticky, and it won't dry out, you've probably got a good dose of PG present. It's also found in oil-free salad dressings, and a lot of cosmetics.
And, no, I don't use it, though tested samples of some ingredient leaf have shown small amounts present.

GL Pease, 2001-12-14
PG, or propylene glycol is a viscous, oily liquid that is a common additive in food stuffs and tobacco. It is hygroscopic in that it has a tendancy to "exist" at approximately 70% relative humidity. When combined with plain old ordinary water and held in suspension in, say, oasis foam, a realtively stable humidistat is formed. When the relative humidity drops below 70%, the water bond is "broken" and the water is "released" into the surrounding environment. When the humidity level rises above 70% water is absorbed from the environment and bound to the PG.
Tobacco can act as the lattice that holds the PG solution. A little bit of PG is not really capable of holding 70%, but it is capable of locking in some moisture. From a manufacturer's point of view, this can help perpetuate the integrity of a product that may wind up sitting in warehouse, transit, or on a shelf for an indeterminate period of time. Kudos to the manufacturer who does their best to insure that you get a properly moisturized, consistent product every time.
PG is also used as a flavor carrier. Since the PG will draw in moisture from the surrounding environment, many manufacturers will flavor tobaccos using PG as a "carrier". A flavoring agent is combined with water or other solution and then combined with an amount of PG. The subsequent solution is then combined with dry tobacco and the result is that the flavor is drawn into the tobacco mixture as opposed to just being sprayed or poured on.

Jeff Folloder, 2000-08-26
In his book, All About Tobacco, Milton M. Sherman says:

Composition of Casing Sauces

All casing sauces contain a "fixing agent," or a resin type chemical to assure that the flavorings will adhere to the leaf and remain stable until used. In addition to "fixing agents" casing sauces contain flavorings, water and a hygroscopic agent (or humectants). Hygroscopic agents are chemicals used to control the moisture content of tobacco. They prevent the tobacco from becoming too dry in a dry climate or from "picking up" moisture in a humid area.

The three most widely used agents are Sorbitol, Glycol and Glycerine. To further illustrate how a casing sauce is used, some manufacturers dip their tobacco, while others spray it before placing it into the blend. The casing sauce may contain all or part of the following ingredients: Licorice, Chocolate, Fruit flavors, Gums, Glycerine, Water.

After the application of a casing sauce, the tobacco is dried, bulked and then blended with other tobaccos. In pipe tobaccos, up to 35% of the blend may be in the form of casing. In the manufacture of cigarettes, approximately 10% to 12% of the finished blend is in the form of casing. In both cases, care must be taken to assure that the casing will "wed" with the tobacco in the blend.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thank you Cortez...very helpful info.
And thanks to Lawrence and everyone else for the feedback.

dmkerr

Lurker
Feb 6, 2011
Greg Pease makes an interesting comment. He doesn't use PG in his blends but some of the constituent tobaccos he buys have some. I'm sure that's true of most blenders. So I'm not sure there's a quick and easy escape.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Great read Larry. Thanks.
I believe McClelland uses water and a little vinegar to retard mold and keep the tobacco from drying out, hence the ketchup smell many people detect in the tin aroma when a fresh tin is opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.