PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesee75

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Hello everyone,

It is good to be on shore duty again, and now have more time to restore some old smokers. With that being said, What is your preferred method of staining? Fiebing's or Aniline dyes. Any lessons learned?

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I have only used Fiebing's in my short restoration career. As for tips...
A. Wear old clothes
2. A little goes a long way.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I use Fiebing's as well as a few others: furniture scratch cover markers, EcoFlo water based leather dye and even Kiwi colored shoe polish a time or two, depending on the look I'm going for. I almost always set the color with either a flame or heat gun.

jonesee75

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
I have used the black Fiebings and found out the hard way that a little goes a long way. Made a huge mess. Just received two Navigators in the mail and they are going to need a lot of work. Seller forgot to mention that one of the stems was bitten all the way through. I have recut bits but it is a very time consuming process. Thanks for everyone's input, have not heard of the EcoFlo products so very interested in checking those out. Have a great weekend.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
1+ for cynyr's remarks. The stuff is a PERMANENT stain! Fiebing's is very reliable which is a hugely important characteristic.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I wish I could find a nice golden stain like my Tsuge:
p1020172.jpg

I'm hoping Fiebing's light brown will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.