PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I just ordered a "pre-transition" Barling. I don't know anything about this company or the pipes they make except this estate, a Fossil, said "buy me." I figured one fossil should go well with another. It's a large pipe with a bowl over 2 in. high. Can anyone tell me about this pipe and the brand?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm certain Sable will be by momentarily to give you a complete history, but in the meantime, post some photos. It helps a great deal.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I forgot to download the pic at SP before purchasing. I will post some photos in a few days. The pipe is a large craggy billiard, off black, with nomenclature indicating Barking and Fossil, among other things. It appears old, for some reason.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Sparrow, head to https://pipedia.org/wiki/Barling and feast your eyes on a shit ton of fantastic reading. It was authored by Jesse aka Sablebrush.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Looking forward to the pictures. :puffy:
That Barling entry at pipedIa.org is outstanding, a fascinating read. (Exceptional work on that, sablebrush52, if you happen by here.)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Sparrowhawk,
Congrats on the purchase! I hope that you like the pipe. Should be a great smoker. Once you've posted some pictures I may be able to give you an idea regarding when the pipe was made. To do that I'll need good close ups of the nomenclature. Also, check the underside of the stem to see if there is a stamping, or the remnants of a stamping there, and let me know what you find.
In the meantime, there's a bit of info on the Pipedia Barling page.

mlb55

Lurker
Nov 15, 2016
@sparrowhawk - You may be able to find the listing for your pipe with the following google search:
site:smokingpipes.com barling fossil

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Is this it?
004-002-0865.jpg

At a light weight, should be a fine clencher!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Could be, but the shank is much more rusticated or sandblasting, hard to tell. Much more craggy surface, like a stony sea button.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Family Era pipes were certainly excellent smokers. But there is a persistent myth that quality immediately went into the crapper after the family sold the business. Forget about Hacker's telling of the story. A lot of info has surfaced since his day, and the picture is much different.

While the family did sell the business in October of 1960, they continued to run it until mid 1962. So a lot of "Pre-Transition" pipes were made while Finlay owned the business and as the nomenclature didn't change, nobody can identify them.

And, the "Barling's Make" pipes that have a 4 digit model number beginning with a number other than "1" were made while the family still ran the business in 1962, using the same stock that had been aging since the late 1950's, by the same craftsmen. But they're not "Pre-Transition" because of the model number, and go for lesser prices as a result. The quality is exactly the same. It would seem that people can recognize nomenclature better than they can quality of materials and workmanship.
Even after the Barling family was given the boot in mid 1962, quality did not immediately go down. It was a gradual process, and excellent pipes continued to be produced. You just need to know what you're looking at with the later periods.
Following Imperial's absorption of Finlay in early 1963, quality began to slip as the factories were turned to making a wider range of products with a less experienced staff.
In the 1970's, Barling pipes were outsourced to Charatan and Cardogan. The Barling Presentation grade pipes made by Charatan are very good quality.
Later, the pipes were made in Denmark by Nording.
So the picture is more complex than previously thought.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Whenever I hear "pre-transition", I think of Bruce Jenner.
Regardless, that's a very nice looking pipe. It's what you would expect to see in Webster's if you look up "Pipe". I hope it brings you many hours of enjoyment and satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.