Pre-Republic Peterson Rhodesian (Thanks Captainsousie!)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Many of you folks know I love the classic British Rhodesian shape. Over the weekend, member "captainsousie" gave me the heads up on this pipe, sold by Tony Soderman. I've had several Petersons over the last few years, including one from the early 60's but I was always looking for a Pre-Republic pipe as they were rumored to be such good smokers. Most of the 999's and such I've encountered have always been p-lip pipes, a stem that I didn't care for in a modern Peterson. This one looked to be in fantastic shape and had the fishtail stem. The pipe arrived today and it is in nearly unsmoked condition. The stem button and fitment is superb. If the pipe has been smoked more than two or three times, I would be surprised. I enjoyed a bowl of my new EMP/Nightcap mix in it and it smokes equal to my Jack Howell or Comoys. The shape and size to me is very reminiscent of the Comoys 283 (and a junior version of my 498 Extraordinaire).
The nomenclature has "Peterson's , Dublin & London" and "Made In Ireland". The P on the stem is a fork tail letter (per the seller). Mr. Soderman dated the pipe to be made between 1938 and 1947.
In the past I've said that I don't care for straight pipes, but in the past year, I've acquired three....

And a shot of all my non-GBD chubby Rhodesians.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I really like the Peterson 999 shape. That pre-republic was a great find, and a beautiful pipe. Enjoy in good health.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
[/quote]Voorhees, that pipe is from the Oppenheimer Holding factory in St. Claude. It seems it was one of the companies first absorbed by Oppenheimer and would later make pipes for GBD. Nice looking pipe too. This is all Pipephil has on them. Oh yeah, and they do show up on this web.
Neat info Capt! That lineage sure explains the shape.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Great pipes and wonderful history. It all makes sense why so many of the early pipes are all identical in shape. Chances are that one or two factories turned lots of the bowls and other factories finished and stamped them with their own labels. Kind of like what Dunhill does today, having bowls turned by outside sources and then hand finishing them. :D

lqjones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2013
congrats on that find. Beautiful pipe. All your rhodi's are fine looking. I'm jealous. I don't own any pipe that shape but now I'm inspired. That shape has really grown on me.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Nice group of Rhodesians. Fun to see those grouped like that. They would go well with the French one voorhees posted. I really like those chubby French ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.