PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
pre-hispanic-mexican-pipe-600x337.jpg

This is a museum grade replica of a real Pre Hispanic Mexican tobacco pipe. It was a gift from a friend who had access to the museums collections and managed to get this example for my modest pipe collection. It is yet to be smoked, but as soon as get some dried tobacco leaf I will gladly put a flame to it.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Nice. Any idea what would have been smoked in it? I read somewhere that the Maya had powdered tobacco mixed with lime they would chew, think practices like that are still performed. They had cigars too and smoked the rustica stuff but I seem to recall they would also use a pipe to smoke the cigar, doesn't look like it with yours though. Could be 100% wrong. Be interesting to know specifics on how they processed their tobacco.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I would assume Nicotiana rustica as it is also known as Aztec tobacco.
As I cannot find any pics or history on such a pipe so I would appreciate any related info.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
N. rustica is what I meant when I said "the rustica stuff. I was wondering how they might have processed it and if other things were blended in to make a mixture for smoking, like the natives in N. America.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
That's interesting. I've been looking at Google image results for those kinds of pipes and birds seem to be a common inspiration for some reason. Where's our resident pipe archaeologist?

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Birds were a common symbol representing flight and communication with the gods in sacred contexts. On a pipe it meant serious business. In addition to chewing Coca leaves as a stimulant, they had tons of drugs ranging from hallucinogenic toad extracts to various smoking mixtures and fermented beverages. I'm aware they used tobacco in cigars and occasional drinks, however, I am unaware they actually smoked tobacco in a pipe. It is certainly possible. I'll have to consult Quetzalcoatl and get back to you. :puffpipe:

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Sounds like you need some "Primitive" tobacco to smoke in that thing. I have some Mopan Mayan and Duale if you care to try it. Nicotiana Tabacum seems to have originated near Bolivia from a cross between Nicotiana Sylvestris and Nicotiana Quadrivalis (IIRC).
I'll be growing some Peruvian Machu Pichu and Bolivian Black Criollo this summer. They might be a tad bit more close to the "original" nicotiana tabacum.

The written accounts of Columbus seeing men with lit lamps full of burning tobacco that they carried and then occasionally inhaling the smoke through straws into their nasal passages and holding in the smoke during convulsions always comes to mind when I think of early tobacco uses... and while I am smoking War Horse Green.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@alexnorth
The pipe is made of clay, which means it is quite fragile. It does however pass the pipe cleaner test.
@jitterbugdude
I would happily take you up on your offer to provide the ancient leaf, as I have reserved this pipe for something of that sort. This pipe is both a novelty and a work of cultural art. I will smoke it, but it certainly won't become my "go to" pipe.
Symbolically this pipe represents the historical bond man has had with tobacco over the centuries, and perhaps over the millennium. I consider an attack on tobacco or tobacco users an attack on our natural heritage. I believe that it is irresponsible to demonize this wonderful medicinal plant that has accompanied us though our evolution. Tobacco is worthy of recognition as one of the great building blocks of America. So quickly the populous forget the significant role tobacco played in sustenance, growth and viability of the colonies.
Thanks to all of you for sharing my interest in the history of pipe smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.