PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redheadedsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Iowa
I've noticed a handful of threads creeping up recently advocating Eric Paulson and his work. Not being one to miss an opportunity to sing the praise of an artist I think makes quality pipes (not to mention at a decent price), I figure I'd share both an older acquisition, and two that arrived yesterday.
img_1215-600x450.jpg

Sometime last month, having read of a handful of members here have pipes made by Eric, I looked into his website and saw a couple of pipes he had available. I ordered the billiard pictured above. With a hefty bowl and an open draw, it has quickly become one of my favorites.
In truth, this was mainly to see his work first-hand to determine if I wanted to commission my own pipe(s) from him. After one bowl, I was sure this was going to happen. After a weeks worth of smoking it was definite. I contacted Eric and commissioned two of his traditional Devil Anse-style pipes. This pipe has a history, and although I won't go into it, has seen popularity due to a three-part mini-series on the History Channel called Hatfield & McCoys. As my father and I almost share a birthday (I was born about 30 minutes shy) and this year marking his 65th in April, I wanted to do something special. Eric was willing to create two of these beauties in his 'traditional' style. I wasn't going into this wanting a specific stain or adornment, my only request being they be of smooth finish.
Yesterday (after some hassle with the local USPS), these two bad boys arrived roughly three weeks after ordering. I have to say, I love them both...and the hardest part was determining which to give up to my father.
img_1217-600x450.jpg

img_1218-600x450.jpg

img_1220-600x466.jpg

I really dig his choice and technique for staining. I love the dark, rich mahogany color, and also how he darkens the stain near the rim. One thing I found of interest is his use of 3/16" hypodermic tubing for the tenon. Give the dainty size of everything but the bowl, it's functional in terms of stability and doesn't hinder the smoke or the passing of the pipe cleaner.
img_1221-600x450.jpg

For those of you curious, I believe it's episode 75 of the PM Radio Show where Sykes Wilford and Rick Newcombe discuss up-and-coming pipe makers. Newcombe mentions Eric more than once for this particular style of pipe and after getting my hands on two of them, I can see why. Definitely a carver I'll be working with again and recommend to anyone out there looking for something new. Although getting known for his Devil Anse, it's obviously not the only style he's willing to create. In fact, after initially contacting him (and checking out his website), he stated he was up for tackling just about anything.

Jan 8, 2013
Very cool pipes, I haven't seen the show, and I don't know the history behind the shape, but I like it a lot.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
My only regret with buying my custom "Red Devil" is that I only bought one. My favorite pipe. Light weight, good sized bowl, nose warmer in a cutty style that points the smoke away from my nose. Every Paulson thread I see I have to give the man further praise. The hefty billiard I bought from him earlier this year smokes like a dream as well.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
I just got an email from Eric Paulson. Here is going to send me some designs for a Canadian. I can't wait to see them.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I got my Paulson "Devil Anse" last night. I smoked a 1/4 bowl on my way into the office. I'm in love - again.
What a great pipe. Hollywood hype aside, this is a great pipe. Great size, the canted bowl is perfect in size and shape, and it is a real featherweight.
This won't be my last from Mr. Paulson.

Status
Not open for further replies.