Praise For Classic American Pipes (Cheap AND Good)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
For many years, I primarily bought and smoked mid- and high-grade Italian pipes (primarily Cavicchis, Castellos, and Radices). Last year, for fun, I decided to see if I could build a seven-day set of American classic pipes for less than $100. I just studied up on the old marques (Ehrlichs, Schoenlebers, Kaywoodies, Grabows, etc.) and started watching the Ebay auctions. It was too easy. Over a period of a few months of careful watching, I wound up with nine good-quality pipes for less than $100. All of them required serious clean-up, but none required a major repair. All smoke well. A couple smoke very, very well. I recommend these good old brands. If you want to start studying up on them, look at Rick Newcombe's book, In Search of Pipe Dreams (he has a chapter on old American pipe brands) and Dave Whitney's Old Briar, which has tons of information on finding and restoring classic old briars. Also, just look at the Ebay listings and do a little research when you see a crusty old pipe that you think has possibilities. You'll be learning a lot of history along the way.
The briar in these old pipes is, well, old. That means it is well-cured. It smokes very well. These pipes were made when lots of people smoked pipes and demanded a pipe with a certain level of basic engineering integrity. And, if you are a Greenie and a recycler like me, buying these old pipes is not just fun, but makes good economic and ecological sense.
I am not against new pipes, by the way. As I say, I have several big racks of high-quality Italian, American, and English pipes. But I love these old pipes, too, and collecting them is a lot of fun. And if you are on a budget, as most of us are in these dismal economic times, these old pipes cannot be beat. In fact, I am smoking an old Kaywoodie, made no later than 1968, now. It smokes so well that I have smoked it for three days. I think I could smoke it forever and it would be fine.
Happy hunting!

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Great post Joe. I caught Grabow fever when I first started in with pipes. One of my first was an Omega. I have since sold most of my Grabows but still have the Omega and a Zulu I got from ejames.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey there joeahearn, thanks for your note. I'm sure your post will get a lot of love, as there are many boosters here of good quality US pipes.
I've really enjoyed getting to know some of these brands over the past year as I explore the hobby of cleaning up and re-circulating estate pipes. By far, some of my favourite 20th century American pipes have been Ehrlich pipes. Solid briar, classic shapes and great smokes have been the hallmark of these pipes for me so far.
Expanding the geographical radius slightly, I'd also mention three Canadian pipe houses that offer great buys for solid pipes:

- Brigham

- Philip Trypis

- Blatter & Blatter
Happy piping.
-- Pat

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Excellent post. I have an old Kaywoodie going right now that I restored.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wandered into American machine-made pipes after enjoying mostly Italian, English, and Danish pipes,

and buying several from an American carver. I don't have many -- cobs of course, a Kaywoodie, and

a Dr. Grabow. I am most impressed with the Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog, just an elegant piece of briar

with a nicely subtle shape. It accepts Grabow, Medico, or balsa filters, and smokes without one too.

I think the Kaywoodie is a good pipe, but the stem doesn't screw in so that the bit is horizontal. It smokes

fine, and I don't notice, but I may send it to Kaywoodie and see if they can do the repair. It's a Ruf-Tone

author (or maybe apple), nicely balanced and a good smoke; it is my only pipe with a stinger but it's no

bother. Many machine pipes smoke about as well as any pipe, and I like being in touch with pipes as they

are known and enjoyed by millions of working men without the discretionary spending to maintain a

collection even as modest as mine.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I have two Webers, a Rhodesian and a Scoop that see a ton of action. One was free...literally pulled from the trash. The other I got for about 10 bucks on ebay.
I also have two Grabows that seem to smoke pretty well but we're still getting to know each other.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
There are more than 30 great pipes in my collection from all over Europe and the Orient. My Kaywoodie Oom Paul is a favorite for all the right reasons. It has a wonderfully beefy bowl that will smoke for over an hour. It has a beautiful dark finish, a healthy comfortable stem and I even like the screw-in stinger.

I found it at a consignment shop and, with a bit of restoration, looks like it just came out of the box. American craftsmanship at its finest.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Great post Joe. I have to agree!
I think the Kaywoodie is a good pipe, but the stem doesn't screw in so that the bit is horizontal
I've read that Kaywoodie did this on purpose (mine is a little crooked too). The reasoning behind it was that the stem should correct itself over many years of tightening. Apparently when they were sold perfectly horizontal, they would eventually get over-clocked and got complaints.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think the Kaywoodie is a good pipe, but the stem doesn't screw in so that the bit is horizontal. It smokes

fine, and I don't notice, but I may send it to Kaywoodie and see if they can do the repair.

I've a Kaywoodie with that problem. Took a while to get just the right thickness, but I made a plastic washer and slipped it over the stinger so it sat flush with the stem end, then screwed the stem back on. I've heard that a leather or cork washer works well too. Problem solved.
If the Kaywoodie has a 3-hole stinger, I'm pretty sure it spins around its axis with a friction fit.

Just run something like a tiny screwdriver through 2 of the holes for leverage, and torque that stinger into proper orientation.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Terrific post, Joe! It brought back memories of some of the old wood on American pipes that were of outstanding quality such as Bertram, Kaywoodie (although I admit I snip off the stingers), and some of the great old Wally Frank pipes. A well used, but clean briar pipe that was constructed with care back in the 30s, 40s and 50s can be real treats, for sure. Most were pedestrian looking but very functional.
Having said all that, I'm absolutely convinced that most of our American made artisan pipes of today are a huge cut above the oldies in looks, style, fit/finish... and, (gulp), price.
Best,
Pipestud

latbomber

May 10, 2013
I have a Van Roy made in NY in the early 40's. Cost me 11$ on ebay, nice flame and a good smoker.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Great post! There are so many great American factory made pipes--most are long gone. WDC,Custom-Bilt,Consolidated,BriarCraft,LHS,HLT,Yellobole,Medico and...............

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
My pipe collection is made up of mostly American made pipes, the largest portions being cobs, grabows, kaywoodies, medicos, yello boles, wdc, rbc etc etc....So I am right there with you on the American pipe front. As a matter of fact I think I'll go post a really unique medico I just got over in pipe chat.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I picked up an Ehrlich for cheap as a travel pipe. It was so, so dirty, but once cleaned it became a real favorite of mine. Nice post.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Boy, does this thread bring back the memories. When I was a youngster in Atlanta, I would stop by the old Royal Cigar Co. on Forsyth St. in Downtown Atlanta.
I have a "Royal" natural bulldog, which was a $5 basket pipe made of old wood. I got it in the early 1960s. In fact, I have a couple of the Royals. That was all I could afford at the time, being in college.
I have a Dr. Grabow that I purchased from Royal. It is one of the best smoking pipes I have. It is a screw-in type and the stinger is long since gone. The stem is whopperjawed to the right, but I smoke it anyway.
I have three pipes from the old Edward's Pipe Shop on Piedmont. Both were purchased in the late 1960s and are Algerian Briar. They, too, are great smokes.
Thanks for the memories.
Edit: For those who would like to see a photo of the old Royal Cigar Sign, go here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/toomuchfire/6751595885/in/photostream/
I tried to post it in this post, but couldn't get it to work.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Interesting post. This, for anyone caring to know, is my own first post, being an on-and-off pipe smoker for a few years, now a dedicated pipe smoker with a growing collection of pipes, as finances allow. I have a Brebbia, a Peterson Dracula, and a LaRocca Piccola pocket pipe. The Brebbia I bought out of desperation, discovering that you can't find a decent pipe in a smoke shop, and I'm sorry to report it doesn't smoke very well. On examining it more closely, I realized the bowl of the Brebbia is cone shaped, and I suspect it doesn't smoke well for this reason. The Peterson smokes OK, not great. The great irony is the tiny LaRocca with a bowl nearly as large as a regular pipe, smokes great! I'd like to get an estate Dunhill--a new one is simply too much money--but I'd like to hear what the regulars have to say about my pipes and brands, and especially any advice about these brands and other pipes. Nice to be able to write you all!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
There is absolutely nothing wrong with those American pipes. I have a 35 year old Dr. Grabow Viscount Author that is a dream for aromatic smoking, really, really good with Altadis' Basin Street Blues. It was one of my very first ever pipes when I bought it. My Dr. G. Starfire pickaxe is a great flake pipe, and my new Royalton is fantastic with Virginia blends. My only regret is talking myself out of buying a Custombilt Bulldog that I found in an antique store 3 years ago for $24. I also own 10 Edwards pipes!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
roth and number six, thank you for the suggestions on fixing my Kaywoodie. I will do one or both. That's

better than sending the pipe off for a long vacation, maybe to be lost in transit. Also the interesting idea

about the pipes being made that way, to correct for long use. Hmmm. Now this pipe has quite a story.

It has a good big bowl, nice heft, and texture, in a compact lightweight pipe, and I'm liking it better already.

Status
Not open for further replies.