Tags:  No tags yet. 

PPP Progress at last!

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by seamusjft
  • Latest reply from cigrmaster
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

seamusjft

Login to Send PM

Four weeks ago I bought a tin of Peterson's 3p's. not knowing what to do with a plug I done ,y usual research on the net and asked questions on here. I just could not get to grips with it! My first bowl, which was a block of the plug with some shaved bits, was a big let down! I couldn't light the bleeding thing and the only smoke I got was when a flame was present. I went back to it the next day. This time with small cubes packed into the bowl. This time I had to relight 20 times, it tasted like a cheap cigar and I gave up before half a bowl. About a week later I cut strips off the plug, rubbed it slightly but still got similar experiences.
    So this morning, in search of a some without the peppery effect of my other English blends, I decided to give it one last hoorah before I gave in. In the tin was some strips that were left previously, I pulled a quarter of the plug apart into kinda square leafs, then went at it with scissors cutting ribbons as best I could. I loaded up using the three, baby woman man approach, gave it a char light or what I thought would be a char light and hey presto! It stayed alight all bar one relight and it was an absolute pleasure! So much I'm on my second bowl of it back to back!
    I guess the moral of my story is - listen to all the advice out there to persevere when a blend don't work for you. It's worth it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Plugs can be difficult. I took advice from GLP's aptly named jackknife plug and used my jackknife to slice it up. That works great for me.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights,
    that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found that Slicing it paper-thin-style flakes when still moist and easy
    to do, then a little dry time

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am interested in trying 3Ps, myself. It sounds like a stout blend but I think I am up to the challenge...

Wessex Gold Brick is worthy but it is mild in my books. It is quite hard to cut but from what I gather 3P is perhaps the hardest and most compact plug there is, whereas the GLP ones are much softer and easier to separate, and Gold Brick lies somewhere in between.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Plugs, by definition, are hard to cut.

You need a big-a$$, extremely sharp knife and a steady hand.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have seen pictures of a few gents with plug cutters...

They are the true pros!

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have a plug cutter. But it's an antique and on the wall in my den.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is a great piece of tobacciana to have, whether you've used it or not.

Seamus, do you notice much of a casing on the PPP?

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

seamusjft

Login to Send PM

I'm still a newbie Simenon but IMO no not really. A very slight fruity taste but one that compliments the natural flavours I'm becoming to love!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

3P is on my bucket list. I've tried and liked Irish Flake, and I've smoked many tins of University Flake and love that, so I'm thinking 3P will work quite nicely here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It sounds like an interesting blend. I just tried the University flake for the first time the other day and thought it was pretty tasty. I think it goes well after a dinner kind of like an aperitif.

I found that my swiss army knife cuts the Wessex plug easily, I then cube cut it, let it dry and it smokes fine. I will order some 3p's and report back.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   beefeater33, jimbo69, twoonefive, anthonyrosenthal74, ddavid, rockytopva, jon11, pitchfork, gunslinger, cobguy, ocpsdan, bwhiteside, mphstteach, cwspook, mso489, torque, kanada, smokeybear, pflan, cosmicfolklore, deathandtaxes, ghost, skapunk1, lestrout