PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
First, thanks for those who contributed for my thread a couple of weeks ago asking for plug recommendations.
Today I received a box that contained 2 plugs, Wessex and PPP. Due to obvious packaging differences I opened the PPP as I couldn't wait to get home Saturday to try it.
I opened the tin, removed the paper disc, opened the frilly paper and there was a small plug wrapped neatly in cellophane and a whole lot of empty space (do the Irish not know about packaging efficiency)? I opened the plastic and the smell of the plug was incredible, mildly fruity with (possibly) figs, almost none of the Virginia or Burley scents I was expecting, but underneath the fruit, there was something that smelled darker, but I couldn't identify it. It felt very damp and oily to the touch, almost "gummy". I squeezed it and found it was quite firm (duhhhhh) and resisted any squeeze no matter how hard.
I opened my trusty Swiss Army (that was honed before leaving home for this very purpose). I sliced off 2 very thin flakes, and when I squeezed those, it felt like liquid was going to run out of it, it felt that wet. I lightly rubbed it out and spread it out onto a piece of paper and laid it on the bed (I'm in a hotel) to get it off the small desk, and went about my business for the next 10 minutes or so, shaking the paper every once in a while.
I dumped that out on the desk and rubbed out the bigger bits some more, and was somewhat amazed how dry it felt after only suck a short time when some say they dry it for hours. I gravity fed a Country Gentlemen, tapping the side and bottom to help it settle, having to push down a bit with a finger to get all the tiny rubbings in.
Took pipe, tool, matches, etc and went down to the smoking patio outside the lobby. Using the longer matches, I gave it a good first char light 'till all the top layer was glowing. Lo & behold it stayed lit! The flavours were incredible, and the balance between them was perfect and seemed to change somewhat during the smoke. I can't say either the Virginias, the Burleys, the fruit topping or the (whatever else it was I smelled) overpowered any of the other ingredients, at any time.
Plenty of smoke, I mean LOTS of smoke, with very full flavours and while somewhere between medium and strong in Vitamin N, not as strong as I was expecting. Note here I was also smoking on an empty stomach. Ropes would have knocked me flat on my arse here for sure, but the strength in this was just ........ kind of ........ pleasant.
So I kept puffing slowly, finding a nice balance between getting too hot and the pipe going out, and even found I could "breath smoke" this very comfortably, so I will say again it isn't as strong as I was expecting.
About 1/2 way through the bowl it was going out, so I laid it down and went into the cafeteria to get another coffee, came out, ashed a little, and it lit easily with a small match. The experience from above continued until I started to hear dottle sizzle and started to get the funky taste I get off cobs when burning close to the draught hole, so I laid it down to cool a little before I dumped and cleaned it. I was a little surprised how little dottle there actually was.
All in all, a wonderful, thoroughly enjoyable smoke. The flavours, the way the 'baccy behaved in the pipe, the amount of smoke, all positives.
The only negative I can think of is I didn't buy a few more tins.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
After your thread, I have another plug to mention. Cornell & Diehl Five O'Clock Shadow.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Davet, I have 2 flights to catch and dragging stuff around 3 airports. The PPP is nicely housed in a tin, but if I cut open the Wessex, ...................................
My comment wasn't pertaining to the baccy itself.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Davet, I have 2 flights to catch and dragging stuff around 3 airports. The PPP is nicely housed in a tin, but if I cut open the Wessex, ...................................
My comment wasn't pertaining to the baccy itself.
Tyler, cheers, I'll check that out next go-around.

Status
Not open for further replies.