PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I recently bought this pipe online from Iwan Ries Co.'s GBD half off sale. I was attracted to it because of the diamond shank that is not too common in a bent pot shape.
DSCN0375.jpg

I should have photo'd it before I began the break-in because the chamber was un-carbonized, and it showed vertical straight grain all around the bowl. Notice the deep growth rings revealed by the blast; you can even see how the harder, vertical grain resisted the blast.
DSCN0376.jpg

The clear rim also shows-off the bird's-eye pattern.
DSCN0379.jpg

You could have knocked me over with a feather! Since this was/is a clearance sale I'm wondering just how old this pipe is. When did the Prehistoric line start, and when did they start to pre-cake their bowls?
DSCN0377.jpg

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That's a great looking GBD pipe cortezattic. Great close up shots too.
I know what you mean about taking pictures before the break-in. That usually never happens with me too. I am usually much quicker to smoke my new pipe than I am to take a picture of it.
It's beautiful. Enjoy it!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I should have mentioned that it has a wonderful draw, no matter what cut of tobacco I use. And, wonder of wonders, here's a bent pipe that passes a pipe cleaner without any hang-ups! It promises to be a great smoker, but I can tell it'll be a while before this one "hits the zone," if you know what I mean.
I have another GBD, a bent squat bulldog, and it took a while to loosen-up; but now it really sings!

Status
Not open for further replies.