PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
So for the last month or so, I have been on the hunt for tobaccos that are harder to find. Ive managed to get my hands on some Stonehaven and some Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake (thanks to rmbittner and gwtwdbss respectively), I've scored three tins of Hamborger Veermaster through some studious research, but I think yesterday I may have hit my best score yet when I snagged two tins of a certain tobacco known as Sam Gawith St. James Flake! 8O In that same order, I also snagged my third tin of Full Virginia Flake and my third tin of Esoterica Dunbar. Anyone else snagged any hard to find tobaccos lately? I'd be curious to hear about what people managed to snatch up lately.

Jul 15, 2011
Oh, I should also mention that after hunting for the last 4 months, I FINALLY grabbed a tin of the ever elusive Old Ironsides by Dan Tobacco.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been looking to try the relativley new Lane "Leo" blend, which was the Peoples Choice at the Chicago show last year in the John Cotton Throwdown. The shops I called a few a weeks ago said they didn't think Lane sold a tinned tobacco. One shop, John Hayes in VA said he would investigate. Friday, I stopped by and true to his word (John, the owner), there was a dozen twins. I bought two and just finished the second bowl. It is indeed a great mild English that smokes wonderfully. It is perhaps like a slightly mild version of EMP.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Purchased some Esoterica Pembroke from a shop in Alabama. Also obtained some FVF, Grousemoor, and Squadron Leader over the past few months, mostly being Johnny on the spot when they became available online. They may not be the most rare, but they move pretty quick when the supply boat arrives.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I guess I'm confused about what a "hard to find" blend might be, since you can easily order Leo, Full Virginia Flake, Hamborger Veermaster, and Squadron Leader, all of which are in stock online.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I recently scored 4 pounds of 2007 Stonehaven, 6 100 gram tins of 2002 Solani 633, 8 tins of 2008 Escudo, 3 pounds of Sg Best Brown from 2006. I also scored 8 bags of Stonehaven when it came around last time.

captainpeg

Lurker
Mar 27, 2013
I recently scored 4 pounds of 2007 Stonehaven, 6 100 gram tins of 2002 Solani 633, 8 tins of 2008 Escudo, 3 pounds of Sg Best Brown from 2006. I also scored 8 bags of Stonehaven when it came around last time.
Wow, you've been busy! Great finds there, I'll be over in an hour...I'd like to know what you think of the aged Solani when you smoke it if you don't mind. I've just cracked my first tin and like it, so I'm curious as to your impressions. Thanks for posting (as Im in the truck punching in your coordinates on the GPS, LOL)

Randy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Randy, lol. The Solani is one of my favorites fresh and I was amazed at how the aged had much more perique flavor. I believe they may have had a higher amount of perique back then, because it certainly did not age like something like Escudo where the perique mellows after a decade. It is very tasty no matter what is in it and I am aging a bunch of the new stuff.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
I was able to score 5 8oz bags of Penzance and 6 8oz bags of Margate. I also added 3 lbs. of St James Flake but it is not difficult to find at the moment. Happy smoking.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Speaking of Solani 633, I also like it fresh, but I cracked a new tin yesterday and it just wasn't the same as the tin I bought a year ago. A year ago, the flakes were very bright orange and the smell was just this wonderful, ripe, sweet VA smell. The tin I just bought had slightly browner flakes and the fresh, ripe smell just wasn't there. It was more like the fruit essence in Orlik Golden Sliced. Tried it out today and the same ripe, sweet flavors just weren't there. Occasionally I could coax out a bit of sweetness, like I had remembered, but it was a very different flake.
Anyone else come across a similar inconsistency in Solani 633?

Jul 15, 2011
This thread needs some pics. I might take some here after a little while. The TAD is going to be on hold until business picks back up at work, so I wont be contributing anything new to this thread for a little while, but I love hearing about all these tobacco scores.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I like your thinking Sam. Not that I am on a hunt for anything in particular, but that is a good idea to try a smaller store

kb7get

Lurker
Nov 10, 2012
I have a 14oz tin of Velvet Sterling blend that is so rare I can't find out anything about it. Has this same print on it as this 1.5 oz. package. Need to find some experts on the older USA OTC's and see if anyone remembers it. Maybe Keven has some contacts that can figure this one out? Would guess it is from the 1970 +/- era? No upc code but a pull tab top on it.
wmo20z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.