PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Any way to date a post transition Barling?
I traded a Gepetto for this one and in my error, thought the script meant pre transition, but I was wrong.

I am guessing this has to be post 1964, and the value is maybe $20, but oh well.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Post 1962. I'll give you $20... But seriously, Barling pipes from the 1960's are EXCELLENT smokers. Nice sandblast on that one, it's a keeper.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Looking at the shaping I'd say that it's a Barling factory made pipe and was made between late 1962 and 1970 when the factories were closed down. It will likely be a good smoker, and is worth a lot more than $20.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
If you do not want dmcmtk's $20 for it I'll offer my $20. I have one of those, or very similar, and it smokes great. We used to be able to pick those up for really cheap. No longer.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Really?
My very incomprehensive ebay search showed many of the post transition pieces going for 15$ or so.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My very incomprehensive ebay search showed many of the post transition pieces going for 15$ or so.
The only time I've seen a Barling go for that kind of money was when it was beat to hell. Even cracked bowls have gotten more money than that.
Mike is fighting a losing battle with that pipe. Maybe it's a consignment piece. But the problem is that collectors buy stamps over briar. Most of us wouldn't know a good piece of wood from a bad one on sight, or a block of Grecian from a block of Algerian. If that pipe had been made a year or two earlier it might well have gotten a "straightgrain" stamp and been priced at $600, but that stamp was discontinued, for a time, after the Barling line was relaunched in late 1962.

Status
Not open for further replies.