PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gosh, the subject needs a book. But a brief paragraph: A workshop on work group creativity years ago pointed out that people get more credit for intelligence and leadership when they respond negatively to others' ideas. I think we've all seen that dynamic. But when you confront a problem yourself or with a group, you usually have to shut off the critical mind and open the discussion to thoughts and ideas that could be easily dismissed at first. I've observed a few workplace tyrants who even used others' humor, acting as if it was meant seriously, to discredit others so they can then dominate the discussion. As a mentor once said, censor your censor to approach problems.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
That's just a dumb assumption!.... so do I get intelligence points for responding negatively? :D

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I've worked in a lot of groups with, sometimes, very divergent views and I've always gone with these words of wisdom.
Fight like you're right but listen like you're wrong.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Yup. You're more brilliant than you were a few minutes ago
Well... that's not saying much. But seriously, I read a study awhile back that pointed out that incompetent people have a tendency to hire more incompetent people. Two reasons were given: (1) the people doing the hiring are too incompetent to know what an actual competent person is and (2) they tend not to hire someone who might be smarter or more competent than they are. Makes sense... I see it all the time

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
It's a difficult subject. There are also cases where someone simply needs to take action, regardless if someone else might come up with a better solution when it's to late to act.

Also, some groups are good at democracy while others are best with hierarchy and leadership.

Where I think your approach is best, MSO, is in a conversation. They are much more interesting when noone is allowed to dominate.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My experience is, group discussions rarely stay focused. Usually such waste the company's moneys and the attendees time. A good leader/boss knows his weaknesses and peoples his staff with those who fill such voids. I will admit to learning that tactic in a ... training workshop. It was blessed with a knowledgeable person who knew how to keep people focused.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I think that what seems to be negativeity is really making a person defend their position and explain how they reach their position. Nothing I hate more than someone taking a position but not being willing to defend that position or explain how they reached that position. Critical thing should be encouraged but it also should be defenseable when questioned. By questioning, one is able to uncover the flaws as well as the gems.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's true, group spontaneity isn't always best, only when you are trying to solicit creative thought. Sometimes a work place meeting is just to review and reinforce standing procedures, in which case the big-daddy (or mommy) boss just lays down the law. But if you are trying to have a conversation, as noted in the post above, or certainly if you are trying to solicit creative ideas, you've got to invite free thought, even if it takes someone to guide the process ... facilitate is the awful word. Sometimes, if their is a big daddy/mommy boss, they just have to leave the room, or everyone will just try to say what fearless leader wants to hear.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well... that's not saying much. But seriously, I read a study awhile back that pointed out that incompetent people have a tendency to hire more incompetent people. Two reasons were given: (1) the people doing the hiring are too incompetent to know what an actual competent person is and (2) they tend not to hire someone who might be smarter or more competent than they are. Makes sense... I see it all the time

A loser wants the company of a greater loser, so that he can feel less of a loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.