PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Given that Popeye was born of the Great Depression, I would venture to guess that he smoked the ubiquitous plug found under glass in many of the druggists of the day. From speaking to people of my grandfathers generation, it was the go-to smoke for many a working man...harsh, laden with nicotine, and cheap. Plus, you could take a bite if you were unable to light up.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
When one considers that he could use his pipe as a boat propeller, marijuana is not entirely out of the question.

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
IDK what he smoked but i bet his stem had olive oil on it! :rofl:

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I like that you have a link from alternet Philip. I think Popeye is smoking rope also!
I also bet Bing and Bob pulled some serious tail in their time! 8) those guys were like rock stars!

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
here's a little-known fact: a long time ago, when measuring the nutrient contents of spinach, someone accidentally put a decimal point in the wrong place, erroneously reporting that spinach contained ten times the iron it actually contained, hence the myth that spinach would better combat anemia. it wasn't until years later the error was found but i guess by then conventional wisdom was that spinach was really more nutritional than other dark leafed produce.
oh here's another one: Bing was a jazz drummer before he made it big as a crooner.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Maybe he smoked the original navy flake/plug
It originated that the crew would keep bales of tobacco cut in ribbons and pressed together for storage, and then stored in sacks, usually next to fruit or even in the same sack to impart different flavor...he either smoked that, or pot haha

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Well I guess he would say " Ies smoke what ies smoke and thats all Ies smoke111".
:puffy:
Hobo

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
Philip:

On what Bing smoked. C&D has a blend that is called "Crooner".

Cube cut burly with a bit of deer tongue. smokes pretty good.

This is supposed to be Bings favorite smoke.

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
Be easy with my hero, I grew up watching popeye. I really like the boat propeller comment. :rofl:

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I also bet Bing and Bob pulled some serious tail in their time! [8)] those guys were like rock stars!
My grandfather was in the same frat as Bing, and was good friends with Bob. I asked him one evening, as we watched Bing melt a young starlettes heart on the tube, if they were that slick in person. My grandfathers reply? Smoother...

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Watch it matees, I have it on good authority that he never smoked anything in his pipe. Especially whacky weed. ( are you listening Dana Larson!)

Olive just told him he looked distinguished with a pipe stuck in his face, so he always had it with him. It did come in handy for other things too though. Like a propeller, flame thrower, to suck up spinache, a snorkle, periscope and jet exhaust.

You gotta admit, it was a lot more useful than Blutto's stogie. Kinda like the original "which is better? pipe or cigar".

Sort of self evident. No?

Status
Not open for further replies.