PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
WhenI first decided that I was going to stick with pipe smoking I was 29 years old.I bought a bunch of cheap pipes and a can of wax and set out to polish them up.I didn't realize at the time that they didn't smoke very well.They were pretty and shiny though.When I looked at them I thought I was on my way to becomming an expert pipe smoker.I know now that I will never reach that goal.Now I'm 72.My fingers are more stiff than back then and I've lost a bit of the sensation in my finger tips.This means that I have to be more careful that I don't drop my pipe.So I don't polish my pipes these days because I feel that it makes them a bit slick and a little harder to hang onto.Don't get me wrong I love nice shiny pipes.As I've gotten older though I've had to make some adjustments and do what works best for me.I hope your pipes are nice and shiny.Some day though and sooner than you think you will be 72.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
43 years to go for me.
You've been at it for quite some time. No need to worry about them being shiny -especially if it makes them harder to hold- as long as they smoke well.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Great post Puffy....definitely made me laugh. Nothing wrong with dull pipes. By the way I have the same problem after I polish my pipes and I'm only 37.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I polish my pipes with a dry cloth, like a bandana, with maybe a bit of stiffness to it (from being new).

This takes off dust and some oil from my hands, etc. I rarely if ever use wax or polish of any kind. I

feel this just adds a residue and will eventually make the pipe more cruddy and sticky. I don't have or

use a mechanical buffer. You can keep pipes surprisingly bright just by buffing them with a cloth. I

realize this low-tech approach isn't exciting, but it works.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The only thing I wax on occasion is my car and the kitchen floor. I don't worry or overly concern myself about the shine any longer on my smooth pipes. When I finish smoking one I wipe it down thoroughly with a microfiber cloth and that's it. Works for me.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I agree Puffy. As I get older I find that my fingers just won't do what I want them to do sometimes. My dust collector pipes shine (on those rare occasions when I dust them ) my smokers ain't so shiny.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
ms-rab-power-stretch.jpg

Mar 31, 2014
^ :rofl:
I rub my warm pipes on my face to oil them up. This keeps them rich, but doesn't make them slippery. When my face is clean, but the briars need an oil, you can find me chasing my husband or father around, pipe in hand. They're always greasy.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Old pipes are supposed to have a warn patina and sharp stampings, not a high gloss finish and over buffed nomenclature. Just my opinion.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
My well bitten smokers have a dull patina, some I keep in the display shiny, I like rusticated pipes as Puffy says the hands aren't what the used to be! I have MS and my manual dexterity isn't that great.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
I use Sam Goldberg's paste wax when I have an old pipe that I clean the exterior with everclear. The rag is an old piece of terry cloth (towel) that has gotten really bad with the years. I probably need to get a new piece of towel, if I want to think I'm cleaning anything when I use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.