PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
I bought this old pipe rack off eBay and cleaned it up a bit. I'm still on the fence about sanding it down and refinishing it. I plan on adding felt to the stem holes as well to give additional protection and I haven't figured out the best method to add felt to the pipe rests. If anyone has ideas, feel free to shoot them my way.
Before:

photo%201.jpeg

After:

photo%202.JPG

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'm a fan of refinishing. My first pipe rack had damage from some sort of liquid being poured on to it. I sanded it down as best as I could and the stain was still present. I disassembled it and then I stained it with a bit darker colored walnut than the original. I ended up really liking the patina the stain gave to the wood.
I wouldn't do felt (that's just me). I'm of the mind that if it was good enough when it was made without it, it should be good enough now. Plus adding felt looks to be a pain in the ass.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nice work! I believe that is a "Fairfax" brand rack. I cut my stem holes into u-shapes to holder larger or bent pipes. I don't find any felt is necessary.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
If you want to do something for cushion, you could do flocking, just in the depressions. I think it looks good as is though.

Status
Not open for further replies.