PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Given the condition of relations between the public and police these days, it was very encouraging to see something like this.
Police pull over drivers to give them Christmas cash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsXLko85IS4

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Stories like this kind of make me nauseus, like is this where police resources should be used? I've always respected police, they have one heck of a job, and if you tried to give an officer money he'd get fired over it. It's such a lame PR stunt.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Serve and Protect.
If that means serving up some much needed Christmas cash from a private, anonymous benefactor, to someone just scraping by, then I'm all for it.
"I've always respected police, they have one heck of a job, and if you tried to give an officer money he'd get fired over it."
What the hell does THAT have to do with anything? If you really respected the police, then you'd understand the kindness of what they are doing here.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Stories like this kind of make me nauseus..
Now why doesn't that surprise me coming from someone who has Stalin as their avatar and Comrade Stalin as their username.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
None of the people looked like they were "scraping by" and the officer never donated his time,

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's such a lame PR stunt.
I'm no apologist for police misconduct, and there have been numerous egregious examples of police brutality in recent years imo. But I don't paint them all with a broad brush either. More importantly though, what's really going on these days, imo, is the "powers that be" are playing the divide-and-conquer game between the police and the public...anything good that helps defuse that, such as this "PR stunt" as you call it, is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I'm not a fan of the police doing this either. I respect cops because of the job they have chosen to do. Whether I like them as individuals or as a unit depends on how they conduct themselves while doing their job. Giving candy to children so they like you is awkward. I don't see much of a difference here. I also don't believe cops doing this has any real negative impact either. Just my two cents...
j/B

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
When you make the world perfect, without killing 20 million innocent people like your namesake did, please let us know.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
When you make the world perfect, without killing 20 million innocent people like your namesake did, please let us know.
Well said.
"The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic." -- Joseph Stalin

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
graphwrite.aspx

drew

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
KC cops are awesome, I was flying a sign (asking for money on the side of a road) a few years back, and they gave me taco bell, good to see their attitude is spreading

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
+++ woodsroad
Not only did that piece of human excrement kill 20 million innocent people, but he did so to his very own people. One might as well use Adolph Hitler as their avatar when you get right down to it. Actually, Stalin makes Hitler look like Walt Disney in the whole grand scheme of human events. Personally, I find CS’s avatar, much less his username very disgusting. Sorry, but I just can’t bring myself to spell out that piece of shit’s name (I'm referring to Stalin of course and not the member) as very offensive, beyond disgusting and unacceptable on this forum site. There, I’ve finally said it and I stand by it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Perhaps we misunderstood Stalin. Maybe it was just cultural thing. Maybe he was just doing his thing. It's all good.
Right?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Perhaps we misunderstood Stalin. Maybe it was just cultural thing. Maybe he was just doing his thing. It's all good.
Right?
Absolutely! So it was with Mao Zedong and the half wit Kim Jong-un. Hey... maybe we'll be graced with some of their avatars! One can only hope... :roll:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
... maybe we'll be graced with some of their avatars!
Some others for consideration:
Caligula

Idi Amin

Pol Pot

Torquemada

Vlad the Impaler

Ivan the Terrible

Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini

Emperor Hirohito

Genghis Khan

Vlad Dracula
"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

- Lord Acton

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The Stalin quote I posted above, is something that could be said by two different types of people:
1) A person of conscience, decrying the apathetic attitude toward the death of millions.
2) A psychopath who is actually responsible for the death of millions, justifying it as just a statistic.
Stalin was obviously the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.