PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfin73

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2014
For one, why is it so darn hard to find a poker in stock? I've been waiting for Stanwell brushed black 207s to be in stock forever at P&C. Anyone know what the difference between the 207 and a 245 is? They have the 245s in brushed brown.

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
207 takes a 9mm filter, 245 doesn't. Pokers are all the rage right now for some unknown reason, but at least this one isn't one of those little stubby things.

wfin73

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2014
Thanks for pointing out the difference crimsonrat, I'm not a clencher, I like to hold my pipe and these pokers just look like they'd be a great fit for my hand. Plus there's the added bonus of being able to sit it down!

Mar 1, 2014
Yup, those slightly asymmetrical cylinders are good looking, and combine that with being a sitter and you have a good all around pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like pokers, but I had to hunt mine down. Looked for the Parker poker/cheerywood for quite a while, and when

I ordered it, from Cup O Joes I think, it seemed to be the last one. It disappeared from the site. I found a nice

La Rocca poker at my independent B&M, but took a long time to decide on its folksy rustication, but it was still

available. They have great bowl capacity for their size and weight, and that have that primitive "snowman pipe"

look. It's a good shape to me.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I have the Stanwell brushed black poker (207) from P&C which I purchased about two months ago (love it). It is the first poker I have, and it smokes like a champ, especially with flake tobaccos, but be that as it may. I certainly have no idea why it is back ordered and out out of stock, but it seems as though it has obviously sold quite well. I clench my pipe(s) about 80% of the time but I thought that this pipe might well be a 'sitter', which is is not. Due to the weight/balance of the 207 it will not 'sit' unless perfectly balanced with tobacco in it, if at all. However, and not to rub it in, it is indeed one hell of a pipe for its price and I'm seriously thinking about purchasing another Stanwell brushed black pipe for the great price, albeit a different style.

wfin73

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2014
Kind of a bummer that the 207 doesn't sit. I still like it and want one when they're eventually in stock again!

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I didn't think/know they were all the rage. I guess i usually think it is the opposite, more of an aquired taste because I think they dont have great lines or flow to draw you in. I have a number of them, used, so maybe you could find one like that. Good luck, there are plenty of manufactures I think.

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
Wc3UurL.jpg

My Apple sits :) I think it's just because I see so many of them from a lot of the newer pipemaker on IG and other social media outlets is why I'm jaded by them. It seems nearly everyone who has a lathe is turning them out and rusticating them/putting a band on and calling it a day. Just not my style or taste. And that's why there isn't a straight billiard that simply says "pipe" on the side, as everyone has different tastes.

May 31, 2012
I used to have a Stanny bamboo poker, it didn't have a shape number on it.

I could never get it to smoke well for me and ended up selling it,

it was beautiful though...

a1mhBq0.jpg

...and it didn't sit either.
To quote Tom Eltang -

A sitter should sit!
One of the most unique pokers I've seen is this,

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=140421
and this,

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/werner-mummert/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=124166
One day I'll finally get myself a Dunhill Don,

I've been wanting one for a while now...

f148t4171p15029n4.jpg

May 31, 2012
PS
If you are a Stanwell fan, and you actually prefer 9mm pipes,

The German ebay is a treasure trove -- just check that they accept paypal and ship international.
I've found some incredible deals there!
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_odkw=stanwell&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.Xstanwell+207&_nkw=stanwell+207&_sacat=0
I used to collect the 63M shape and got very lucky,

back in that time I would have grabbed something like this in a heartbeat, but it's an example of going thru some hassle by contacting the seller and trying to write in German to convince him I would really want it because he doesn't appear to accept PP...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Stanwell-Pfeife-Modell-Brasilia-/191319013592?pt=Tabakwaren_Zippos_Pfeifen&hash=item2c8b8078d8
If you keep an eye out, you'll eventually get lucky with a private auction, always a better deal than the BIN shop sellers.
Better yet,

just get one of these!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xstanwell+207&_nkw=stanwell+207&_sacat=0
:!:

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
I got one of the 207 brushed blacks a couple of months ago and I totally agree with what phil67 says. I was pretty bummed to find out that it doesn't sit on its own.

wfin73

Might Stick Around
Aug 7, 2014
Other than that, are you happy with it? I'm now considering another style, perhaps another straight style, but the poker is still my first choice right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.