PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
Summer's coming and along with it are a ton of graduation open houses and weddings for me and the gal pal. Although she thoroughly enjoys my pipe smoking, she's not too keen on me plunking out my big old Nordings at a gathering, let alone trying to stash one in a suit jacket. I am looking for something around the 60-80 smacker range, ( got the single pipe pouch covered). So I guess the question is, show me that pipe you take with ya for a nite on the town.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
This Peterson is the one I bring on "dress up" evenings...nice and compact, not ostentatious at all. Easily pocketed.
260.jpg

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
Maybe a nice Stanwell featherweight. Of course I'd pull out the giant Nording!

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
"docrx: I tell her, " But dear, wouldnt the Nordings make great conversation starters?" LOL

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Throw just about any classically shaped pipe on a buffing wheel and you have yourself a dress pipe. done and done lol. For me, I just grab my peterson 313, small and classic.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Nording makes dress pipes. $90
002-508-0411-90.jpg

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=101132
Stanwell sterling smooth. $150

002-034-6930-150.jpg

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=97967
And My personal Fav in looks alone; Savinelli Oscar Tiger. $72

002-033-8039-72.jpg

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=89642

russ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2012
I ordered this one yesterday as for my dress pipe, my girl picked it out
002-033-8462.jpg

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
+1 on BriarBird. He can work wonders with a block of wood. Also, are we still allowed to promote other users work? I know there have been some controversial discussions on this and I just want to make sure it's still ok. P.S. this is my 200th post!

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
I have to work daily in very formal circles and official events, and I strongly advice you to go for a straight smooth billiard. Color is not as important as shape. All straight smooth billiards are "classy", because they are classic. You bring the image of Faulkner, Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, Bing Crosby, Errol Flynn. The epitome of men elegance used straight billiard or canadian.
Faulkner-with-pipe.jpg

42-172897841.jpg

tumblr_lqegj6JMRS1r26dtho1_400.jpg

For your dinners, they have also other advantages: The pipe fits well in the inside pocket of the suit jacket (actually, if it has a pen pocket it's perfect). Another thing it's that you cannot expect to do a 1 hour pipe, even if they smoke. So a small bowl like the ones in billiards is just perfect.
Seriously: with a formal suit anything except a billiard looks clowny!
There is the trend to go for black and silver for "dressing" pipe, but I believe that that's trying too much; A good grain smooth glossy billiard is enough. I see this in Alpascia

Alpascia Cheap Billiard.
Smokingpipes has many in Peterson, Savinelli and Vauen...

002-029-13056.jpg

This one, in its reddish tones is an elegant pipe that shows more personality than black/silver!

002-029-11636.jpg

And for something more daring, this contemporary finish:

002-457-0580.jpg

All, well under 100$, all class, IMNSHO

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I guess any straight billiard with black stain would do. That last one probably takes a lot of tobacco for each bowl. :lol:

corvinvelegost

Might Stick Around
May 1, 2012
From viewing the formal pipe choices of a group of old guys whom i fish with regularly (and sadly have attended several funerals with as the group thins) you cant really go wrong with a smaller pipe with a nice black finish. If you went with a conservative shape (billiard, brandy, etc) it would be quiet versatile.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I second for a dress pipe going with a nice straight billiard. For me it also brings the memmories of Grant and Crosby being the suave sophisticated swooner. A straight billiard with a vest, a nice pocket watch, and a fedora/bowler hat and it doesn't get much classier for a dress up situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.