PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Thanks to Huntertrw, I was recently pointed to an odd little volume of poetry for tobacco smokers, "Whifflets" - I was quickly able to track down an eBook edition on Google Books. Since then, I've been thumbing (only in the preverbal sense one can in such a digital age) through it, finding prose and poem to fit my smoking mood. Tonight, I happened upon what, can only be summed up, as my an ode to my personal motto of the pipe..."Relax, enjoy, imbibe" - imbibe being a threefold mantra for the consumption of tobacco, spirits of choice, and appropriate literature.
As such, I give to you, poetic expression of my personal piping mission: With Pipe and Book
books

If you wish to know more, please journey to Google Books

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Interesting. I just saw this tag line on someone's post on the show us your Dr Grabow thread.
"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." -Robert W. Service

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
That poem is great! And thanks for the link to the free eBook.
W. Somerset Maugham wrote this snippet of conversation in a short story "The Hero":
'Besides, base is the soul that drinks in the morning by himself. At night, in your slippers and without a collar, with a pipe in your mouth and a good book in your hand, a solitary glass of whisky and soda is eminently desirable; but the anteprandial cocktail needs the sparkle of conversation.'

Status
Not open for further replies.