PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Hello ladies and gents,
hope you had a wonderful Labor Day weekend!
I just opened Dunhill Flake, which was in the jar for last couple months (about 3~4 months...)

I could not wait til another few more months :D

But when I took one out, I saw some white stuff, which reminded me of plume (crystal) vs. mold.

Smell seems to be fine. It has some lemon + wine? scent.

It feels rather dry and stiff.

When I put it under the light, it sparkles.
I have looked into the other posts asking for the same thing. But I still have no idea...

I know that plume is 2D, flat on the tobacco, while mold is 3D, hairy.

My judgement is failing me, therefore, if you would, please let me know what you think.
I have heard many, many wonderful things about Dunhill Flake and it would be really unfortunate to see all these beautiful flakes going into the trashcan.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
If the white stuff sparkles, them it is bloom, plume, whatever. It's crystals basically. Mold doesn't do that.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If your tobacco was moldy, you would smell it when you opened the tin.Mold smells, moldy. Mold also grows up as well as out. Also, mold doesn't sparkle. I think you're fine.
Mike S.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is mold.
img_20160805_0755462-600x337.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
jaq6q: Looks like plume to me. I am no authority on this but below is a pic of three of my tobaccos that I smoke quite a bit, and I've had no ill effects.

From the top: SG Bothy Flake, GH Ennerdale Flake, and finally Esoterica Blackpool, which looks really bad, but under 20x magnification it is very sparkly, not to mention very tasty!

Duane's got it right, mold looks quite different, and fortunately, I've never had any on my tobacco. :D
img_0855-535x600.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Timely topic. I have a jar of Penzance and it is loaded with plume. Checked and double checked. Under magnification you can see the crystals on the flake and it is smooth and "glittery" when I shine light on it. It taste spectacular.
As for your sample....I'm not sure. Without seeing it up close.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
It still looks like early mold to me - but would love to be wrong!

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Thank you all for your prompt replies. I appreciate every replies!

Also thank you for the picture of actual mold. Now I can see why some call it "hairy".

And I wish I could have the flakes like Orley's someday!
I scratched the "plume/mold" area with my nail and it spread it out or "left a streak" like how you would scratch a rock with fingernail and leave a streak.

Mold would not be like this, would it?
And I also do not hope that it is not the early mold!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
It's not mold. But if you are truly concerned, feel free to send me some for FREE definitive testing. :)

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Scratching would be the definitive test - mold does not come off by itself. Plume does, and leaves the tobacco intact.
I'm so glad I was wrong!

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
This is extremely interesting. It happened a few times that a particular tin arrived with some weird white thing on it. I now know that I had nothing to worry about.

Sep 18, 2015
I can't tell for sure from the pic what it is, I have not experienced mold on my pipe tobaccos, I do have some that look like Orley's samples that I believe too be plume.

Over the years I have dealt with mold issues in my humidors, Plume is the oils in the tobacco coming to the surface and crystalizing, it is part of the tobacco and does not 'smear' or wipe off easily. Mold on the other hand Will wipe off, it is not a part of the tobacco.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
also if you rehydrate the tobacco, do you risk of getting it moldy?

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
I had an ounce of penzance, and it has dreid up,(( my mason jar seal was no good)), it used to have crystals but since it dried up it looks like they dissapeared, if i rehydrate it will it still be the same?

jaq6q

Might Stick Around
Jul 5, 2015
Thank you for your detailed replies!

@mayfair70 : I will take a rain check. However, I hope it does not expire soon! :P

@hextor : I am not sure how smoking mold tobacco will be bad for you. But from what I've heard, smoking moldy tobacco will allow mold spores to come into the body, which is not desirable. I am sure someone more knowledgeable will share their opinions.
Off-topic,

I smoked it yesterday night. I could see why it gets lots of compliments. It surely is a fine tobacco. I would need to smoke a bit more bowls to appreciate its nuance.

Unfortunately, after I smoked it, small part of upper lip was swollen. It is fine now. I believe it is an allergic reaction, however, it is really strange that I got it from Dunhill Flake. I had no problem smoking Stokkebye's Flakes and Twists, Astley's No. 44, and other Virginia blends or English blends which have some amounts of Virginia.
Has anyone ever had this kind of reaction after smoking Dunhill Flake?

(Strange body chemistry I must say…)

Status
Not open for further replies.