PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Plume or bloom or whatever you want to call it apparently is a type of bacteria. I was just reading here how they had sent out cigars and pipe tobacco with Blume on it to a lab for testing and this is what they found.
http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/topic/132939-mold-update-round-2/

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Those were some interesting pictures. let the debate begin. I guess I'm lucky most of my tobacco is newer, hasn't had a chance to age and develop plume, oops I mean bacteria and mold as your link suggests

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Much plume in my jars in my tobacco closet. Aerobic fermentation at it's best! :puffy:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ever see any tests done on hotel remote controls, door handles, or the interior of your car? Its almost enough to make you never want to leave your bubble.
I wonder how much of that bacteria is really harmful though, I'm guessing not that much. Still looks unpleasant however!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'm glad to read that the overwhelmingly large majority of plume found on aged tobacco is bacterial and not fungal. This is a good thing. My body has billions of different bacteria in it, some good, some bad, but few that are going to kill me; and I doubt the bacteria found as plume on aged tobacco is going to kill me or I'd already be dead by now. It's a moot point for me, but interesting nonetheless. In conclusion, I know what mold looks like and get rid of it when I see it. Otherwise, I smoke the bacteria ridden tobacco plume and enjoy it. Now if I could only get a little kimchi plume to grow on my FVF. :puffy:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
The interesting thing is that pipe smokers accept bacteria as ok, but totally reject fungus. In winemaking, both are important- and they seem to be related to the fermentation of the sugars. It could be that we're missing out on some amazing flavors by throwing out tobacco with fungus...soooo- who wants to go first?? Bacteria In Wine

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I've got a jar full of Stonehaven that has been aging for approximately 6 year that is loaded with plume(?)that tastes amazing. :puffy:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Cheese, sauerkraut, wine, a pancake that I drop on the kitchen floor next to the cat's water bowl, all perfectly good for you.
Real sauerkraut that hasn't been pasteurized is GREAT for your gut bacteria and super easy to make(as is Kimchi). Cabbage and sea salt.
I guess I'm lucky most of my tobacco is newer, hasn't had a chance to age and develop plume, oops I mean bacteria and mold as your link suggests
Unlucky you mean. Aged tobacco is the BEST, plume and all!!!!!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I make it at home from time to time. Only problem is I can't eat that much before I need a break from it. lol
Hmm never thought to add beets and rutabagas. I was thinking of adding some spices and making kimchi next time.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There have also been analyses that state that the bloom is composed of leached mineral content. Whatever it is, we're not talking about a health product here. The writer also states that the cigars chosen for the test were dusty and that might have accounted for the results. As for fungi, since the species that thrive on tobacco are highly toxic, there might be s reason that it's better to toss moldy tobacco.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The stuff I see developing on my aged tobaccos is silvery and somewhat crystalline. I think Greg Pease once speculated that this might be the result of oils migrating to the surface, as did "Captain Quintero" in the comment section of the cited article.
In the comment section of Pease's article, http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/out-of-the-ashes/saving-for-a-rainy-day/ , member Kashmir, a microbiologist, provides some interesting insights.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Folks- It's bloom, not plume. The bloom can be in the form of a plume, which is a shape.
The words are interchangeable.
https://www.simplycigars.co.uk/guide/cigar-old-or-plume-bloom-45/

Status
Not open for further replies.