PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I bought a beautiful estate pipe, then brought it home to find out the shank is blocked. It has a curved shank. I've tried to push a paper clip through with no avail. It didn't even budge. I don't think it is clogged with cake because it looks very lightly used. The inside of the bowl isn't caked and still smooth to the touch. Any ideas would be helpful. Ramming a drillbit in it is the last thing I want to do.

wannashmooze

Lurker
Jan 21, 2014
Poke around with an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner to find the hole. Like coffeeman said, it will be a straight, so you will be able to run a drill bit down. Use the drill bit by hand to avoid damaging the shank.

Aug 14, 2012
I made a tool out of a coat hanger to clear the shanks. It works. If it didn't I would use a drill, but tape the bit to indicate how far it should go.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Get a coat hanger and cut off a length equal to double the stem with a pair of tin snips. Get a needle file a file a grove into the end of the coat hanger to form a 'Y' shape. Place improvised drill bit into a drill and proceed to clear the stem. The advantage is that this drill bit will bend and follow the form of the pipes stem. Apply gentle but firm force and add some pipe cleaning fluid before drilling. Works with meerschaums so I am sure a briar will be able to accept for more open heart surgery than 100+ year meerschaum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For those who have cleared out plugged shanks, what is it that is stuck in there? Can you tell? Is it

cake or dottle or resin? I'm happy to say, I haven't faced this problem, yet.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Pipe cleaners,stingers,mud dauber nests,.....

Most often it is simply just crud,and that crud can be quite hard.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
One of the advantages of having a Senior Reamer is that there is a drill bit built into the handle that can be unscrewed and used just for this type of problem. I use it frequently and it works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.