PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevchriss

Lurker
Mar 20, 2013
Carmel, IN
I joined Pipes and Cigars monthly pipe tobacco club and I am having a blast. This month included Borkim Riff and a China made corncob pipe. Borkim Riff was the very first pipe tobacco I ever smoked about 45 years ago. My family was very religious and I use to blow the smoke out of my bedroom window. I probably would not have bought it if it didn't come with the club. I filled the cheap corncob pipe with Borkim Riff, not expecting much, and man it was great. I own about $3000 worth of pipes so I didn't want to believe it. I then loaded my Barling with the same tobacco and it was not nearly as good. In all fairness, I do like my tobacco to burn hot and the Barling was smoking a lot cooler. I love my Briar pipes, but I will be smoking some corncob pipes in the future.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
If you are going to try some more cobs, do yourself a big favor, and buy some Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes.

If you thought the Borkum Riff was great in that chinese cob, then you are going to be blown away using a MM corn cob. Just my 2 cents. Glad that you are enjoying the cob experience. Happy Puffing :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried them yet, but I think Old Dominion corncob pipes are quality cobs. They have the bamboo

stems, which I haven't seen since childhood, and come in three sizes, the smallest of which is idea for

sampling at a pipe show or shop, for example, or for short dessert or appetizer smokes, or just limited

time smokes. They don't accept Forever stems, but with their authentic wood stems, they are another

excellent choice for cobs, I would say. I love my MM cobs, and have three forever stems, and one filtered

cob outfitted with a softie on the bit. Few pipe smokers lack corn cob pipes. They are perfect and improve

besides. Can't beat them.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
MM cobs are amazing, for an even better experiance try buying some forever stems, I got one of those 8" ones and made my cob legend into an 11" pipe!

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
MM=King Cob
I have smoked Missouri cobs for 30+ years. Would not think of switching to something else. They can tame any wild and wooly tobacco in my book.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I got a MM cob lite up right now. They really are a BIG bang for the buck.
Lots of pipes are pretty to look at, but cobs are hard to beat for a good smoker in my book.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Since we have some cob experts here I'd like to ask if anyone could tell me about the pipe pictured below?
It's about five and a half inches long. The bowl is very large at almost an inch wide and about as deep. It weighs only 1.6 oz.
At first I thought it was a hardwood pipe made to look like a cob but I'm having doubts. I should know the difference, but I've never owned a corn cob pipe and have nothing to compare it to. There used to be a label on the bottom of the bowl but it has been peeled off. There are no markings.
Despite its questionable origins I kind of like it. It holds a lot of tobacco and is very light.
cob_zps4fa484b3.jpg

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I wouldn't ingest or place anything in my mouth that came from China. As others have said; do yourself a favor and get an MM cob. I have four with Lucite stems from Walker Briar Works and they all smoke like a gem.

kevchriss

Lurker
Mar 20, 2013
Carmel, IN
This months pipe tobacco club's offerings are:

Borkum Riff - Original

Russ' Blend Cherry Cordial

Sutliff's Blend 5

Drew Estate's Harvest on Hudson

And a wonderful corncob pipe from China :nana:

You have to take it easy on China, they own us

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
As a side note, once we've gone through our stock of the Chinese cobs, we'll be replacing them with Missouri Meerschaums.
Russ

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have 4 MM cobs and keep a couple around for guests that want to join me in a smoke. All Missouri Meerschaums, my 4 also have the Forever stems from Walkers - outstanding addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.